Chapter Nineteen

The fear of getting caught, The recklessness in water

Nightswimming deserves a quiet night.

Nightswimming - R.E.M

. . .

"Why are you trying to climb over the fence?" I laughed, jangling the Tompkins house keys in my hand, at Noah who had already got one leg over.

The cycle to the house had been quite exhilarating, as Noah weaved out in front, calling back for me to pick up the pace as we rode through the town and up to Seventh where the street lighting became scarcer and darker.

I had to pull Noah back, when he dumped his bike on the lawn and plead with him to be quiet and go round the side, where the laundry room door was - the only lock my key had any use for.

It seemed his patience wasn't that great because he'd already started up the large wooden fence before I could get down the narrow path, batting away cobwebs and trying not to fall into the rose bushes.

"Sorry, got carried away." Noah replied grinning, hoisting his leg back over, and dropping down onto his feet. "Door's probably a good idea."

"You need to be quiet, otherwise you're going to wake up the whole neighbourhood." I whispered, slightly concerned that any minute one of the neighbours at the end of the street would be alerted to our plan. "Make sure you take off your shoes before you go into the next room, they've just had new carpet put down."

"Alright." he laughed quietly, slipping them off and preceding into the dark laundry room.

Carefully I closed the door behind us, and felt my way across, dodging the washing machine and piles of dirty clothing. I'd had to pull Noah back again, to stop him from tripping over the ironing board that had been carelessly left by the door to the hallway.

"Good save." he mouthed, tip toeing through until we reached the large open kitchen, the wide patio doors revealing the dim, moonlight lit pool that we had been waiting and longing for.

Searching for the outside lights, Noah told me to leave them off so I fumbled around in draws instead until I found a patio key, pulling them back slowly and letting him slip out first.

Wide-eyed and ready to dive in, he silently gestured for me to get in as he took off his shirt and shorts. Just seeing him stood by the edge of the pool in nothing but boxers was enough to send my beating heart into overdrive, along with the nerves of sneaking into the house.

"Come on Scar."

Struggling to remove my own clothing and covering my stomach with a towel, I paced round the edge, to see which end was the shallowest so that I didn't break my legs jumping in.

As Noah disappeared under the water, the light on the pool streaking across his body I quickly pulled on bikini bottoms and cautiously sat on the edge, letting my toes soak up the gloriously cool water.

"Get in." he whispered again, shaking his wet hair so it fanned out in every direction.

"In a minute." I hissed, flicking water back at him.

"We didn't come here so you could sit there and just admire it."

"Okay, okay." I said giving in, letting go of the side and sinking to the bottom. When I resurfaced, Noah was beside me, treading the water.