(2) Bus Stop

dont mind me randomly uploading voltron fanart i found online and stuff at the start of each chapter >< just needa get some fangirl outta me

Keith tapped his foot partly to the song he was listening to on his headphones, partly out of impatience for the bus. He leaned back on to the signboard, closing his eyes and taking deep breaths. He was always jittery on the first day of school, for reasons he did not know himself. He was entertaining himself by making tiny sparks fly from his fingers, a power he possessed as a boy of the fire element.Just when he was trying to make the sparks form a flaming heart, someone tugged the hood of his jacket off.

"Wha-"

"Hey Keith," said Pidge, grinning mischievously at the irritated look on Keith's face.

Keith raised his eyebrows. "Well hey Pidgeon. I have to say I'm surprised that you could reach that high."

"YOU-" The shorter girl shoved him roughly, but Keith hardly flinched.

"It's not like you're not that tall, Keith," scoffed a boy who looked similar to Pidge, just more masculine, placing his elbow comfortably on Keith's shoulder.

"Hello to you too, Matt," the shorter boy grumbled.

"So how were your holidays?" Matt asked him.

"Eh, it was pretty cool," shrugged Keith, "Shiro brought Adam, and I to Japan, his hometown. Cassidy came along too, that's why she hasn't been to your place during the holidays. His parents are gone but his some of his uncles, aunts and cousins are still there. Their village is welcoming."

"I've always wanted to go to Japan. Their culture is very different," Pidge mused, "Are they really all that polite?"

Keith gave a careless shrug. "I guess," he answered, "I mean, they just seem to have more respect and stuff? I dunno, I'm not sure if I wanna judge the Japanese off Shiro's family. Not like they're a bore, but I think they'd think first before tugging someone's hoodie off by way of greeting." He sent a mock glare at Pidge. She rolled her eyes.

"Someone's salty," she muttered under he breath. Matt gave an appreciative snicker, Keith pretended not to hear.

"How 'bout your holidays then?" he asked.

"Pidge and I created a computer program for your birthday," Matt grinned.

"What? But that's, like, next month?" Keith spluttered, mildly flustered that they saw his birthday as something that important to them.

"Oh, don't be so uptight, you're allowed to have your friends make stuff for your birthdays. You're gonna have to get used to it." Pidge rolled her eyes. Keith scratched the back of his head.

"Thanks guys... I've never really had... I - well - thanks, I really appreciate it," he stumbled.

"He doesn't even know what it is yet!" Matt whispered loudly to Pidge. The trio laughed.

The bus arrived shortly after. The three of them greeted the driver, Florona, who always drove this bus that would drive to their school. "Ready for a new school year?" she asked, smiling kindly.

"Yeah, well, not like it's gonna be that much different from the past few years," Matt laughed, as they headed to the back, where the three of them usually sat.

"Oh quiznak, do ya'll wanna go upstairs instead...?" Matt let out a squeak a few moments later. Pidge let out a snort, then caught herself as Matt glared at her, his face red as a tomato. Keith raised an eyebrow at them.

"What for?" he replied, "don't we always sit at the back?"

"Yeah well, remember our friend Cassidy? He started getting head over heels for her at the end of last year. And, y'know, if he had a dollar everytime he thought about her, he'd have one, 'cos she's never left his mind!" Pidge waggled her eyebrows at her brother. Matt groaned and walked quickly to the back, face burning when he made eye contact with one of the girls on the bus, the one he had tried to avoid. Cassidy, Keith's honorary 'sister' and a good friend of the three.

"Hey Keith! Pidge! Matt!" she called be way of greeting, and beamed. Matt looked embarassed at the state he was in.

"Hey Cas, h-how were you're holidays?" he stuttered, trying to sound normal, as if he was not overly excited to see her in person again, as if he had not recently developed a crush on someone he was just starting to consider as one of his best friends.

"Great, I'll tell you more about it during break later, how about yours?" she smiled at him.

"It was good, we-" he barely began, when Pidge shoved him.

"Sorry, Cassidy, we'll talk later, right now we're blocking up the alleyway," she interjected, smirking at the both of them. Keith was slightly amused, and sent a smirk to Cassidy and the flustered Matt as the three said their temporary goodbyes to the girl and sat all the way at the back of the bus, where it felt like they had a lot of privacy to themselves.

"It seems like one of us has started his journey into romance, eh? Keith, I think you'll be next," Pidge smirked at the two older boys.

"Excuse me?!"

*~*~*~

Five minutes later, the bus was starting forward towards its next stop when it suddenly halted, nearly jolting its passengers off their seats. The doors opened to let a tall, lanky boy dash in. "Hey Florona, sorry 'bout that," he panted, trying to regain his breath.

"Nice to see you again, Lance. Next time, wake up earlier."

"Sure thing!" he replied, before heading up the stairs to the upper deck of the bus, unaware of his friends sitting at the back.

i feel like all my chapters are either crazily short or crazily long what the quiznak