French?

Chapter Six - French?

Professor Binns is the most mind numbingly boring teacher I have ever met he makes lessons on how to clean your caldron sound more interesting then so of the most brutal giant wars. So you can imagine the schools relief when the headmaster announced that he was taking a year or two off to come to terms with the fact that he is dead. And the Professor large would be replacing him in his absence.

"What do you recon this professor Large will be like" James asked no one in particular

"Fingers crossed he will have a heartbeat and the good sense to use a varying tone when he speaks" Fred said as we made our way through the castle after a decidedly uneventful lunch. As we arrived outside our History of Magic classroom it was to a wave of murmurings about the new teacher. I doubt that anyone at Hogwarts has ever been interested in a history of magic lesson before today.

"Do you reckon you'll stay awake this lesson Rose" I asked her

"No idea" Rose fell asleep five minutes into our first ever history of magic lesson in first year, I swear it was some kind of record. "but if he's anything like Binns then I'll be off. Even mum found it hard to stay wake in his class" When Rose first came to Hogwarts many thought she was going to be as clever as her mum it was a bit of a shock when they found her sound asleep, drool and all, in her first lesson at Hogwarts.

"But I bet Hermione didn't fall asleep once" I joked.

"I'm sorry but his voice is like a fricking lullaby" she said defensively

"Lullaby? More like a..." James was interrupted by the opening of the classroom door we all trooped into the classroom eager to catch a glimpse of our new teacher. The man who stood in front of the class had a large red face and a large stomach. The buttons in his jacket were straining against the large man inside. In a word our new professor was large hence the perfect name.

"Settle down class" even his voice was large "take your seats please" I sat down between Rose and James

"Good names he's got" James whispered

"Too right" Rose said she had never really understood the concept of a whisper "With a voice like that I'm never going to get any sleep"

"Shame I always enjoyed my hour's piece" I joked as I unpacked my quill

"right class" Professor Large boomed "I'm Professor Large your new History of Magic teacher I am aware that your previous teacher professor Binns was not the most inspiring of teachers but I hope to make history of Magic an interesting lesson" Rose scoffed next to me "I know some of you believe that is an impossible task and you would rather nap for the following hour" Rose nodded. "But class must go on. So with that let's begin"

"Well I never, I enjoyed that" James exclaimed as we left the history of magic classroom Professor Large was a hit with the Gryffindor seventh years.

"Professor Large certainly knows his giant wars" Scorpius said

"That he does" Fred said "who knew that giants were so vicious"

"Well it's not like the one giant we know is particularly mean" I said

"Your right Gawp is just a big baby" we continued to talk about history of magic as we walked into the great hall for dinner, as we sat down professor McGonagall strode over to us from the teachers table where we could be Professor Large sitting next to the tiny professor Flitwick "Miss Kent may I have a word?" McGonagall asked. I glanced at Rose who looked puzzled "Sure" I got up and followed her out of the hall once we were in her office she turned to me and sighed "Miss Kent your father has sent the school a letter regarding leave for official events. He has requested that we grant you time away from your schooling and as he is the minister it is hard for us to refuse, so as a compromise we have said that we will evaluate each event as it comes. As for the proposed meeting with the French minister and his family we have granted you the required leave of three days. You shall not be set homework for the days you have missed but I advice that you revise your friends notes in preparation for your newts. Your father's sectary sent us this letter about what will be required for the visit and when it will take place" she looked at me over her glassed "Jennifer, I understand that it is a lot of pressure to put on a 17 year old to expect you to do politics and your newts but I believe this will be a good experience for you and I urge you to use it to it's full advantage" she handed me a letter "you better get back to dinner your friends will be missing you" I nodded again. Turning around I walked out of the office closing the door behind me I lent against the castle wall fingering the letter in my hands. Great. I'd been hoping that McGonagall would say I had to stay at school. Oh well what doesn't kill me can only make me stronger maybe McGonagall was right maybe I will get some good experiences out of this. Sighing I got up and walked into the great hall Scorpius was sitting alone at the Gryffindor table. I sat opposite him and started filling my plate with chicken and rice.