Chapter 9: I Need More Time

Nov 9th, 2038

Connor found himself back at the garden but this time it was snowing. He walks along the path and sees Amanda standing in the middle of the frozen pond. Connor walks towards the pond and places his foot, slowly, on the ice before he makes his way towards her.

"After what happened today, the country is on the verge of a civil war. The machines are rising up against their masters. Humans have no choice but to destory them." Amanda said, a look of anger on her face. "I thought Kamski knew something...I was wrong..." Connor replied.

"Maybe he did...but you chose not to ask..." Amanda replied 

Amanda Status: Neutral but decreased 

"I chose not to play his twisted little game!" Connor shouted. "There was no reason to kill that android."

Software Instability 

Amanda Status: Distrusted

"Wh...why did Kamski leave CyberLife? What happened?" Connor asked her. "It's an old story, Connor. It doesn't pertain to your investigation." Amanda said.

"I'm not a unique model, am I?" Connor asked her. No response. "How many Connors are there?"

Software Instability 

"I don't see how that question pertains to your investigation." She said, again. 

"I saw a photo of Amanda at Kamski's place...she was his teacher..." exclaims Connor. "I expect you to find answers, Connor. Not ask questions. You're the only one who can prevent civil war. Find the deviants or there will be chaos. This is your last chance, Connor." Amanda said, firmly.

Amanda Status: Distrusted but decreased 

Connor opens his eyes to see that you, him and Hank were in Fowler's office as Fowler was giving you guys the bad news. "You're off the case." Fowler said. Yours and Hank's jaw dropped at this. "The FBI is taking over." 

"What?" You and Hank said, shocked and confused. "But we're onto something!" Hank shouts. "We...we just need more time. I'm sure we can--" you stammered at the same time. "Guys, you two don't get it. This isn't just another investigation, it's fucking civil war! It's out of our hands now...we're talking about national security here." Fowler explained.

"Fuck that! You can't just pull the plug now. Not when we're so close!" Hank exclaims, angrily. "You're always saying you can't stand androids! God, Hank, make up your mind! I thought you'd be happy about this!" Fowler said.

"We're about to crack the case!" You said, desperately. "I know we can solve it!"

"For God's sake, Jeffery, can't you back us up this one time?" Hank asked Fowler. Fowler sighs then said.
"There's nothing I can do. You two are back on homicide and the android returns to CyberLife." Fowler said and you felt your heart drop at this.

"W-what?!" You asked as you look over at Connor, who stares back at you. "I'm sorry, guys, but it's over." Hank takes a deep breath before he steps out of the office, you not far behind him. Connor watches you to leave then turns to Fowler before he nods at him then leaves the office.

He heads over to Hank's desk, where Hank was sitting in his chair and you were leaning against the table. Then Connor walks up next to you and sits up on top of the table, in a very human manner. "We can't just give up like that." Connor said, frustrated. "I know we could have solved this case!"

Hank sighs as he turns in his chair to look up at Connor and asked. "So you're going back to CyberLife?"
Connor shrugs as he replies. "I have no choice...I'll be deactivated and analyzed to find out why I failed..." and you could just hear the sadness and fear in his voice when he spoke that last sentence, which broke your heart.