Chapter 12

Zach placed the cup of diet soda in front of me and sat down, chugging most of his drink. We decided to take a break before our second game and get a drink, maybe just talk a little bit, too. Zach had beat me by more than double my points, which I expected, but he still managed to lighten the mood and take every opportunity he could to show me how to swing properly.

                “First date?” Zach asked, leaning back and watching me sip my soda.

                “Um, yeah. You’re the first guy that I’ve ever talked to outside of my family.”

                Zach shrugged, but didn’t seem surprised. “No wonder everything’s all in your head, you don’t talk.”

                “Well, who wants to sit and listen to someone with a mind of twenty mental hospital patients combined, rant about stuff that doesn’t make sense to them?”

                Zach raised his eyebrows. “You don’t have the mind of twenty mental hospital patients put together.”

                I frowned at the table. “You don’t know what it’s like inside my head.”

                He rubbed his forehead and drank some more soda. “How long have you been like this?”

                I laughed mockingly, “Depends. My depression started when I was like ten, but everything else came a couple years after that.” I stirred the ice in my soda. “Have you ever been on a date before?”

                “No.”

                “Seriously?” I asked, giving him a look.

                “Yes, Princess. I’m not lying like you always accuse me of.”

                I smiled softly, “You just say some unbelievable stuff.”

                “Yeah, well, work usually comes before girls.”

                I looked up at him and crossed my legs, trying not to shiver at the sudden temperature change. “Have you ever had a girlfriend before?”

                He smiled to himself and sighed. “No, Princess.”

                I shook my head but didn’t say anything in case he got mad that I was accusing him of lying again. He continued staring at something behind me and I sipped my soda, wondering what time it is. Did Nick ever give me a curfew?

                “Zach,” I cleared my throat, trying to get his attention. “Why’d you move here?”

                He looked down at me with another one of his famous blank expressions. “My dad’s business.”

                “What does he do?”

                Zach shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t give a shit.”

                “Oh,” I mumbled, wanting to ask what started this whole tense relationship thing, but decided not to pry while we’re on our first date.

                “You ready to get your ass kicked again?” Zach grinned, standing up and stretching.

                I bit my lip and nodded, trying not to laugh and tell him I didn’t care as long as he kept touching me. Being with Zach is the only thing that matters to me right now.