Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Zach’s POV

                I stop outside the apartment building and park the car, looking out at the dark sky. This is our biggest deal yet and if anything goes wrong, we’re either dead or wishing we were. This isn’t a dealer to f*ck with and as long as we do what we’re supposed to, everything should be fine. But of course, you can’t trust anybody and should always expect the worst possible scenario to happen.

                I sigh and rest my head on the headrest, listening to the passenger door open. I don’t bother greeting him, instead put the car in drive and exit the parking lot.

                “Ready, boys?” Adam rubs his hands together and inhales loudly, seeming anxious and excited at the same time.

                I press the start button on the built in GPS system because our deals are always somewhere that can’t be traced back to us and usually off the maps. Steve curses at him and tells him not to screw this one up, which leads to another argument as I pull onto Route 10.

                I sigh heavily, too exhausted to deal with their childish behavior and rest my elbow on the car door, my thoughts drifting back to Abby. The guilt I’ve been feeling is overwhelming and some nights I just drive around, hoping I’ll find her and prove she isn’t gone like we think she is.

                “How’s Abby?”

                Of f*cking course. Of all things to start a conversation with, it has to her. “We’re not talking about her.”

                For a second I actually think he’ll drop it because he remains silent, but Adam wouldn’t get a hint if it kicked him in the balls. “Trouble in paradise?”

                “You can say that,” I growl through gritted teeth and switch lanes, pressing on the gas a little harder.

                “Did you guys break up?”

                I decide that instead of telling the idiot off and wasting my breath because clearing he doesn’t understand when to drop a subject, I ignore him and hope he’ll move on.

                “Did she cheat?”

                “He doesn’t want to talk, dipshit.” Mac states the obvious from the back seat and I thank him in my head for losing his cool so I don’t have to.

                “Well, I want to know what’s got our man down. You have connections, you can always hire a hitman.”

                I want to bash his skull in and kick him out of the car at eighty miles an hour. What gives him the right to talk about Abby like she’s the one who did wrong?

                “Watch your f*cking mouth a**hole, because I swear to God you say one more thing about Abby and you’re dead. I’m not going to sit here and listen to you talk shit about her when you don’t even know her last f*cking name. And just to shut you up, she’s dead, okay? She’s f*cking dead.”

                They finally stay quiet so I can drive in peace and I relax in my seat, trying not to let myself feel anything right now. Not right before I’m about to make the biggest deal of my life. I can’t let my emotions screw this up.

                “How?”

                He just doesn’t get it, does he?