35.

CHAPTER THIRY-FIVE - A CHANCE

There was no time to waste. With shaky hands, he removed Sloan's phone from his pocket and called the ambulance. After explaining the situation, and giving the location, he returned the phone into his pocket.

"Alexia," he called voice thick with emotion. He reached his hand out to touch her but quickly stopped himself, afraid that he would hurt her even more.

Turning around, he slapped his palms along his face groaning in the process. He dragged his hands up into his hair, pulling and screaming in anger and frustration. Ah! He hated himself now more than ever. What had he done? He had hurt the person he loved the most.

"Alexia," he turned around to have a look at her.

Her head was against the seat. Her arms lay motionless by her side and her split lips dripped blood onto her white blouse. Taking out his handkerchief, he dabbed at the blood at the corner of her lips and she starred. His hand drew back on impulse and heart skipped a beat. Her fingers twitched before her eyelashes moved.

"Alexia," he called, while touching her cold cheek. Her lashes fluttered open and weary eyes stared back at him.

"Colin," she mumbled and reached her hands out to him like a baby reaching for her mother. He quickly gathered her into his arms and brought her out of the car.

The small crowd that had gathered stared as he placed her on the ground. Her head slanted against his chest and hands rested by her sides. Taking in rushed gasps, she asked.

"What happened?"

"There was an accident." He replied and quickly added. "I am sorry. I do not know where my mind was. I was... distracted."

She let out a long sigh. "Distracted by whom?" She asked.

"You." He replied before he could stop himself.

Alexia raised her head and gazed into his eyes. His heart stopped for a slip second when he saw her face. Those beautiful green eyes, that long nose, those pink lips and her beautiful face, all made his insides melt.

"Me?" She looked puzzled.

"Yes." He replied.

Alexia continued to stare at him and wondered if he knew her. Did they meet somewhere? Was it in college? All the questions were giving her a headache, so she tore her gaze away from his. Besides, she was starting to feel slightly uncomfortable from the way he looked at her.

He gazed at her the same way Vulcan did: with love. Vulcan was her boyfriend so she did not mind, but he was not and that puzzled her even more. Why did he look at her like that? Something in her gut tells her they know each other. However, she does not have any memory of him.

Perhaps had she forgotten about him too? The doctor did mention to her that she lost her memories.

"Do I know you?" She asked and there was silence. "I had an accident about eight months ago and I lost my memories. I do not understand why you keep looking at me with that look in your eyes, so all I can ask is do we know each other? Are you someone I used to know?"

Before he could answer, the loud howls of a siren filled the atmosphere. The ambulance arrived and the paramedics ran out to them. Two nurses helped Alexia to the ambulance while Colin remained in his crouching position with head hanged low. He tried to hold back the tears that were rapidly forming in his eyes, but one slid out and landed on his thigh.

His heart ached. How could she have forgotten about him? She was in love with him, for goodness sakes. Does that mean that she lost the feelings she had for him together with her memories?