Prologue

The human species is egocentric by nature ... We like to believe that we dominate the earth, that nature is under our control.... But these are only illusions... We are only hosts on this earth, and we must respect the laws of its true rulers...

Village of Shiru, Japan

00:00AM O'clock, local hour

Japan ... Very old and venerable land of stories and other legends both fascinating and terrifying...

The Mikazuki Valley, or "valley of the crescent moon", located to the south of Japan's great empire, was plunged into the most peaceful night. The ink-black sky had been filled with thousands of stars every night playing their roles. A light wind had risen, making the tall stems of the rice fields sleeping around the village dance. The village of Shiru was small, counting barely more than five hundred inhabitants, but was known in the rest of the empire for its prosperity equaling no other, and also its respect for ancestral traditions. Some liked to say that the inhabitants had made a pact with the gods, thus ensuring security and life in the village. Whenever one of the villagers was asked this question, they said it was a secret.

Apart from the few guards patrolling the deserted streets and providing security, everyone slept the deepest sleep ... or almost. In a modest house in the center of the village was a man lying in bed in the middle of his room lit by a few small candles. He was in his forties, with very short, flat black hair, a serious, closed face, and a small, thin mustache. He was named Ishiro, and was a recognized historian in the country, but also very downgraded by the others historians for his hodgepodge theories. Ishiro had made a specialty of past history, especially those concerning the gods and supernatural creatures who supposedly populate our world without us seeing it.

Ishiro's sleep seemed agitated, the man constantly moaning, turning every two minutes in bed and grimacing sometimes. His hands clenched on the blanket. A powerful gust of wind suddenly opened the window of his room and blew out all the candles at once. Ishiro woke up at the same instant. Sitting in his bed, breathing as if out of breath and his eyes filled with a distinct anxiety. He ran his hand over his forehead, seeing a few drops of sweat. He looked straight ahead as if hypnotized by the fear that haunted him and pulled him out of his sleep. A headache seized him, making him wince in pain. A series of strange and indistinct images jostled in his mind .... A sea agitated by a terrible storm ... And in the middle of this ocean furious, a ship, lost and fighting against the elements to stay afloat ... On the sail of this great ship, a blazon in the shape of a large flower with three petals opening and surrounded by a laurel ... Then suddenly, a titanic form, even larger than a mountain, emerging from the ocean and opening two eyes filled with fire and anger...

Ishiro pushed his blanket up and stood up without losing a moment. Dressed in his kimono, with a lantern in his hand, he crossed the corridors of his dwelling in the darkness and headed for the office room. The relatively small square room, however, contained dozens of large books, mostly very dusty, and other very ancient parchments, piled up in crates or spread all over the small wooden desk standing in the center of the room. On one of the walls was a map of the known world, where several crosses at specific points had been drawn with black ink, as indicating positions, the most common on the coasts. Most of the books on the shelf were about the legends and mythologies of all peoples and beliefs in the world that Ishiro had been able to study: Greek mythology, Scandinavian, Aztec, Egyptian, etc.... Ishiro rushed to the bookshelf and in the lantern light, looking at them one by one, seeming to look for one in particular. And he found it. A thick book with a binder of old brown leather. Seizing it, Ishiro made some clean on his desk by removing some papers and put the big book in which were identified the coats of arms of all the great and small kingdoms known throughout the world, as well as their history. Ishiro spent long minutes flipping through the book, page by page, scrutinizing every coat of arms he saw. The man was more and more nervous as the seconds passed.