Chapter 2

11 looked even worse that 12. There were peacekeepers everywhere. There were people being beaten because they stopped working for just a second. Sitting on the train really makes you think how hard it is to be from a District and not the Capitol.

"Clove, stop looking out the window while I'm talking to you. Now as I was saying. The reason that Haymitch is staying here is because I need to keep an eye on him." Effie was highly aggravated as she glared at Haymitch who was swirling some whiskey in a glass.

"Well, it's not my fault that she is the reason that Katniss is dead. Actually it's her fault. It should be Katniss, Katniss should be the Jay not her."

Jay? What is he talking about. He is seriously drunk.

"Haymitch!" Brutus grabbed a knife as he stood up and held it to his neck. "If you do anything to hurt either of these kids I will jam this into your neck faster than you can say Jay. Got it?"

Enobaria chuckled as he threatened him. It's good to see at least one of us didn't lose our thrill for the kill.

We step off the train again, the same routine. This is the place that scared me the most. Rue and Thresh. They meant alot to me and now they are dead. I failed to save them.

We are led to the stage and I can see Rue's family and Thresh's. Cato is talking right now. Saying everything on his card. I look down at my card. I can't read this. I need them to know how sorry I am.

I step forward and begin to speak into the microphone.

"First of I want to properly introduce myself. My name is Clove Kentwell. You all know we as an evil monster. The Capitol made sure of that, but what you didn't see was my friendship with Rue. I have a sister called Rue, she reminds me so much of her. I cried when she died and I killed her killer. I'm not a good person but I owe you an apology. Thresh spared my life and I still don't know why but I do know that I'm thankful. In so sorry for your loss, they all deserved so much better. You know Rue had this little song that I would hear her whistling and humming all the time. The mockingjays copied her. It goes like this." I whistle her song while doing the three finger salute. "Thank you for your time." I step away from the podium and see Effie glaring at me. Embry and Cinna are shaking their heads and Enobaria and Brutus are walking away angrily.

We are about to be led off stage when an old man does the exact same salute as I have just done. I see a peacekeeper walking fast towards him. They must have known that I would try and run because I feel Brutus and Embry grab my arms and drag me back into the building.

They are all shouting at me including Cato but I don't listen. I just run to another room. I lock the door behind me and sink down to the ground. I want to cry but no tears come out. That man could be beaten or dead by now. I can't believe they wouldn't let me get involved.

"I guess I was wrong." I look up to see Haymitch sitting across the room. I hadn't even noticed him sitting there when I ran in. "Come here for a second." I walk over and sit down without saying another word.

"Why are you going soft, Clove?"

"I'm not going soft." I try to defend myself but it's true. I'm losing my thrill to kill. I'm loosing my strength.

"Don't lie to be. Shockingly I think I might be sober right now. Enjoy it, it won't happen again." I just look at him waiting for him to continue. "Now I know what I said earlier about you being the reason Katniss died but it was really more of a suicide attempt. Well not so much an attempt more of a succes-"

"Can we please talk about something other than the deaths of the tributes?" I ask dryly.

"Sure." Haymitch grins a little. "So how's Cato?"