Chapter 5

Back in the 74th Games.
Cato's pov
I sat staring down are her unconscious body. She lay there for a few hours now. We are back at the Cornucopia. I can't wait to get back to killing these stupid kids. I'll make them all sorry for every thinking for even a second that they could fight me, I only have one weakness, Clove. She won't stop playing hard to get but now she unconscious and I don't know if and when she'll wake up.

"Hey Cato?" I look up at Marvel who is carrying a stack of sticks for a fire.

"What?" I ask him aggressively.

"When are we going to kill that moron over there?" He starts rubbing two sticks together.

"Soon."

"Well how soon?" He stops for a second.

"Soon!" I stand up and shout. "Alright! Stop asking me stupid questions!"

I storm off over to the trees. As I walk I pass a tree and notice a leaf move. I slowly walk over to the tree just in time to see a boy take off running. I don't know what district all I know is that I'm chasing after him and catching up.

"Get back here!" I finally catch up to him and tackle him to the ground. I grab his own knife as I had left mine back with Marvel and Clove, and I shove it into his heart. I get some blood on my hands but I don't care. I remember why I came into these games. I didn't come for Clove. I came here to win. I'm going to win.

The second I get back to camp I notice a fire. I run to find our supplies mostly lit up. Without even thinking I run to snap that boys neck. It felt great. To hear the crack sound and to watch his lifeless body fall to the ground.

Back to Cloves pov
"So what happened Cato. You wanted to win on your own but when I woke up you were right there watching me." I ask him as we sit down on one of the chairs.

"Your face." We both scoff.

"Well I didn't really peg you as the sappy type Cato." I laugh a little. It's been a while.

"I'm not. Neither are you. I know that you aren't this sweet little emotional girl the Capitol is trying to make you. You are a ruthless killer. That's what I love about you." He looks up at me waiting for a response.

"So you like that I'm a killer?" He nods. "Well so do I. But in those games it was really weird. I killed people in those games and I still don't care about them. I don't mind the people that died by my hands. Marvel, that boy from 9. I don't care. But Glimmer, Rue, Thresh, Katniss, Peeta. I didn't kill any of them. Glimmer and Rue were my friends so that's understandable but Thresh, Katniss and Peeta tried to kill me. Peeta and Katniss both sacrificed themselves for us and I still don't know why." I stand up. "Cato I'm so confused. None of this is making any sense."

"I know. It's been an emotional roller coaster and to make matters worse now there is another games."

"You aren't actually going into the games are you?" I ask him as we walk to the door.

"No. I promise you Clove I won't go into those games." I smile as he says this. I grab his hand and intertwine our fingers. I think for a second, we are about to exit the building for the Reaping.

I drop Cato's hand and stand beside Enobaria as Effie stands over two bowls with the victors names in it. I look into the silent audience. I see my father standing with his arms crossed. I see Rue with tears still down her face. My father isn't even comforting her. My father doesn't deserve her and he definitely didn't deserve Ro or my mother.

"Welcome, welcome to the Reaping for the 75th Annual Hunger Games." Effie exclaims to the silent crowd as the victors stand some happy some sad.

"Well... ladies first." Effie walks slowly over to the bowl. My heart beat starts to quicken. I look at Enobaria for a quick second but she is too distracted looking at her hand. I notice something on her left hand. A piece of white string tied around her ring finger. Her and Brutus are engaged? Since when? And why a piece of string? Are they trying to be subtle?