Chapter 9

Colby's POV
I woke up in a room I had never been in before. I was sat in a chair at a table. Sat across from me was a mirror. I slowly tried to sit up before being pulled back down. I looked at the table. There was a bar. I was handcuffed to the table. Great. This day just keeps getting better. The door opened. A middle aged man came in and leaned against the table looking down at me.

"Hello Colby. I'm Dr. Arthur Arden. I'm here to help you get in a better state of mind so eventually you won't be a threat to people outside this hospital." He explained to me.

"I was in a great state of mind before you ripped Rilynn away from me." I spat back at him. He got up and started pacing the room.

"Colby, could you tell me what happened the night of June 13, 2014?" Dr. Arden questioned. June 13th??? That was 4 years ago. Slowly, my memory shot back.

~Flashback~
I sat at the park with my girlfriend, Melissa. We were talking about life.

"Colby, I need to be honest with you." Melissa looked at me with guilt. My heart started to beat faster than before.

"What's up?" I confidently said trying to hide my emotion. I watched her as she played with her fingers.

"I think I'm in love with someone else." Her voice cracked. My face fell. "At Josh's party last Friday, he took me up to his room. Stuff happened. He's been on my mind ever since. I never wanted to hurt you Colby. I'm so sorry." I wasn't hurt. I was angry. I could feel my blood boiling inside my body.

"What do you mean 'Stuff happened'?! Stuff doesn't just happen when you have a boyfriend. I thought you loved me. You're so selfish." I stood up. I was about to walk away when she grabbed my arm and pulled me back. I turned around and just started swinging. I didn't know what I was doing. I was too angry to comprehend it. I didn't stop swinging until I felt the life leave her body. God. What have I done. I looked down at my shakey, blood covered hands. I looked down at her lifeless body.

"No." I stepped backwards. I stumbled and fell onto the wood chips. Blood dripping from the bench that her body sat on. What am I going to do? I carefully got back up. I took off. I didn't know what to do but this is how my body reacted. I just killed Melissa.

~End of Flashback~

I didn't respond. I just looked at him.

"There was a body recovered from the park on June 15th. We identified the girl as Melissa Vaughn. Do you happen to know her?" Dr.Arden questioned. I didn't make eye contact. "It's taken us four years to trace it back to you. Seeing as you're already in an institution, all we can do is offer help." He explained. I looked up at him.

"I didn't mean to do it. I didn't even know what was happening until it was already over." My voice cracked as I finally spoke to him.

"You're not in any trouble. The family decided to drop the case as long as you kept getting help and weren't allowed near them." I simply nodded.

"Dr.Arden, when can I see Rilynn? She's the only person who can stop me from being so destructive." My voice quivered. I don't know what I'd do if they never let me see her again.

"I'm not sure the guards will let you near her. I'll see what I can do but I can't promise you anything." I saw the sympathy in his eyes. I couldn't go on without the hazel eyed girl. She was my rock.

River's POV
I was happy I got to see my sister yesterday. I've missed her so much. Things just aren't the same without her here. She's like the only thing that keeps this house together. I hated seeing her there. I'm glad she has Colby. He's seems very trustworthy. As long as he keeps my sister happy and safe, I'll be fine. I decided that I should call Rilynn. I know I saw her yesterday but she's my best friend. It's so hard living without her. I took out my phone and googled the hospital. It popped up and I slowly pressed the call button. It rang once before an automated message played.

"Thank you for calling Trinity Springs Mental Institution. After the tone, state your name and the patient in which you want to reach." The recording played loudly in my ear.

"River Winters. Rilynn Mae Winters." I spoke clearly.

"Please hold while we connect you to Rilynn Winters." I listened to the lame classical music that played through the phone.

I waited for 2 minutes before the line finally picked back up. "Hello?" I heard her voice echo as if she was in an empty space.

"Hey Rilynn. It's me. River a.k.a. your favorite brother. I was just calling to talk. Kind of losing my mind without you around the house." I awkwardly chuckled.

"Hey little brother. Uhm. What's up? Are you okay?" She spoke in a low tone. Somethings wrong.

"Yo. Why are you talking like that?" I asked.

"River. Something is happening here. This morning they moved all of the girls rooms. This place is flooded with guards. I haven't seen Colby all day. He was taken away. I'm scared. You have to help me." She rapidly whispered over the phone.

"Slow down. They took Colby? Stay calm. Just go with whatever they say. I'm going to come up with a plan until then just lay low. I'm going to call again tomorrow. Hopefully I have something the next time you hear from me. I love you." I felt my heart beating out of my chest. The line went dead. She didn't even get to tell me she loved me back. I'm beyond scared. I have no clue what's happening. All I know if I have to save my sister.