Chapter 12

River's POV
Shit. Shit. Shit. What have I gotten myself into? I stared at Myles blank face. Usually he would have exploded by now.

"So Rilynn's coming home soon?" He finally spoke. I simply nodded. He wasn't mad. He actually seemed to be relieved. "Good. That place gave me the creeps." He smiled at me. I just laughed at him.

~Later that day~
I've been contemplating everything. Mom and Dad won't be happy with me. I just can't let my sister suffer. I got up from my bed. I put my hat and hoodie on. I walked down the stairs and out of the house. I heard the voices calling after me but I didn't listen. I just kept walking. I'm on a mission. I can't fail.

I finally walked up to the brick building and slowly entered. The sound of the sirens coming from the near by fire station was all I could hear. I approached the lady at the front desk.

"Hello. Can I help you with something?" She said softly.

"Um. I have reason to believe that the patients at Trinity Springs Mental Institution are in danger. My sister has been staying there. I'm worried for her safety." I looked her in the eye. Not once did I look away. She stared at me for a moment. Analyzing my expression.

"Why would they be in danger?"

"I'm not sure. I called to check on my sister a few days ago and something was wrong. She didn't sound like herself. There was a lot of screaming in the background." I looked down at the desk. Hoping she wouldn't ask me any more questions.

"All I can do is send a couple officers and an EMT." She touched my hand. "I'm sure your sister will be fine sweetie." I looked at and slightly smiled. "I will send two undercover officers over as soon as I can. Can I get contact information for your parents to inform them if anything is wrong?" I felt my heart begin to race in my chest.

"My parents aren't home. They've been gone on business for months now. I can give you our Nanny's phone number. She takes care of us while my parents are gone." She handed me a notepad and pen. I shakily wrote down:

Hadlee Garcia
927-845-2935

I handed her then pad back. "Thank you. I wasn't sure what to do." I slowly turned away and exited the building. God I'm an idiot. Now Hadlee is in on this. She doesn't even know Rilynn was admitted. This oughta be fun. Not.

I walked down the street and took out my phone. Dialing Hadlee's number. It rang for a few minutes. "Come on. Pick up." Voicemail. "Shit!" I dialed the number again.

"Hello?"
"Hadlee! It's an emergency. I have a lot of explaining to do. Can you meet me at Mom and Pop's?"
"Uh, yeah. I'll be there in 5." She hung up. I walked down the street to the old candy store on the corner. I sat on the bench and waiting.

Shortly after, Hadlee comes running towards me.

"River. What's going on? You never call me." She looks at me worriedly.

"You should sit down for this." She slowly sits on the bench next to me. "Okay, so.." I told her everything. About the suicide attempts. The family visit. Colby. I told her every detail. "Now, they're in trouble. Rilynn and I devised a plan to shut the hospital down but they wanted Mom and Dad's phone number so I lied and said they were out of town. I wrote down your number. So when they call you have to pretend to be our Nanny. Please Hadlee. This is life or death. You know I wouldn't ask if it wasn't." I pleaded. She just stayed quiet.

"I'll do it." I sighed in relief. "Rilynn is my best friend and if you say she's in trouble, I'm going to help. Every step of the way." I smiled.

"Thank you so much! You're a life saver." I hugged her. "Literally." We both laughed.

A/N- I'm gonna be straight up and tell y'all that this took forever to publish because I couldn't remember the freaking name of the Mental Hospital🤦🏼‍♀️