10

8 years later: 8th grade
JJ POV:

"So what your saying is that the serpents are real?" I ask Rose. We were walking home from school. I usually walk home with Mary but she had a softball tournament or something. I'm
also not aloud to walk home by myself. "Yeah, but don't tell mom or Cheryl that I told you all of this. They don't want you to know quite yet." I look at her. "Can I ask you something?" I ask seriously. "Yeah. What's up?" I stop trying to figure out how to ask, she turns around. "How did you deal with watching mom get shot?" She looks down. "Oh. Umm, I don't really remember honestly. I've tried to forget about it. Why?" We start walking again. "When I was younger, I had a hard time with it, and I'm still having a hard time. Like every time she leaves I start to panic because I don't want her to die. Even sometimes if Cheryl leaves." I usually call them both mom, but Rose doesn't so I make it easier for her. "Even though I've been seeing a therapist since it all started I still panic about it. There is a reason why I don't leave the house some days. It also probably doesn't help my depression. but I just can't imagine what I would do if anything happened to either of them. I'm sorry, my brain is kinda pouring out of my mouth." I apologize from my nonsense rant. "It's fine. Just don't do anything bad." We walk into the house. "Mom we're home!" I yell and mom walks out of her office. "I thought you were going?" I start panicking. "Toni- I mean mom wanted to go. She didn't tell you?" I shake my head. I can't breathe, not well at least. "I'll be in my room." I start to go but mom stops me clearly unaware of what's going on in my head. What if something happens? What if something happens to both of them? Why didn't she tell me? "Jason, I asked you a question." I look at mom. "How was school?" She ask probably again. "Good, I'll be in my room." She stops me again. "Hey." She looks at me. "Mom! I mean it! I don't want to be bothered right now." She lets go if my arm. I storm up into my room and slam the door. I feel like I might faint. I lie down and pass out for a few hours.

TONI POV:
"Hey bud, I heard you were kinda upset about be not being here." I tell him as his eyes slowly open. He sits up frantically. "Mom." He smiles. He's always had a hard time anytime I leave still after 8 years. "Hey I'm sorry I should have called you it's just I was more focused on Mary at the moment." I apologize. "It's fine." It wasn't he just said that to change the subject.

11 years earlier: 10 months old

I was hold Mary, she's been standing for a few months now and can walk if somebody is holding her. Cheryl and JJ walk in and sit down. I hear a thud come from Rose's room. "I'll figure that out." I hand Mary to Cheryl and go upstairs to Rose's room. I walk in and she is repeatedly hitting her head against the wall. I walk over to her and stop her. She had a stressful day at school this doesn't surprise me this is happening. I bring her to her bed. "If you keep doing this your going to be in pain." I stroke her hair. She slowly stops crying. She sits up. "What's bothering you?" I ask. She shakes her head. "Don't talk." She starts to get up. "Yes we are." I say sternly. I have her sit down again. Her hitting her head has become a new thing. Neither Cheryl or I really know how to stop it. "Was school stressing?" I ask. She nods. We both stand up. "Ok, how stressful was it? Can you show me on the bored?" We walk over to a bored that she has on her wall for emotions. "Point to the one for school." I remind her. She points at a angry face. "It was really stressful huh?" She nods. "Did you learn something new today is that why?" When she has a meltdown she usually stops talking, so she talks through groans and nodding. She nods slowly. "Do you think that is a good reason to be hitting your head against the wall?" She shakes her head. "Ok do you want to come downstairs?" I just need to get her out of the room honestly. She nods slowly. "Ok." We walk downstairs and Rose just sits on the couch quietly. I pick up Mary and sit down. After that I realize I could have just sat down. I help her stand. She takes a few steps but with my assistance. She starts walking again and I slowly let go, she takes her first step but quickly falls down. I look over at Cheryl. She has a huge smile on her face. We both are in shock, we've never had a kids young enough for first steps. Even though I did get Rose to speak for the first time. "JJ walk." She lets go off JJ but he just falls back on his butt. I can already tell he's not going to be the smartest person.

—————-
This story has gone to shit I'm sorry