Chapter 3

Throughout that entire day, Barnaby's mood was very cheerful; he couldn't stop smiling and when they would train, he would be talking to Kotetsu as he was used the machine. When Kotetsu would look up at him, he saw that adorable smile and couldn't help smiling himself. This, however, did not go unnoticed. "Those two sure do seem different from before..." Karina said, trying to hide the fact that she had a crush on Kotetsu. The others nodded in agreement. "I wonder what changed...." Ivan said. That was when they all saw Kotetsu stand, having finished on the machine. He walked over to Barnaby and took his hands. "Your turn to get buff, Bunny," he said teasingly. Barnaby blushed at his tone and chuckled; now that they were dating, he didn't mind the nickname. "Shut up, Kotetsu..." He said with a smile. He gave him a quick peck on the cheek before taking his turn on the exercise machine. When the partners looked at the others, everyone was staring in surprise except Nathan. "What was that about...?" Karina asked, making Kotetsu get nervous. "Oh, uhh.... Well, ya see, last night Bunny tried to ask me out but he was drunk so I turned him down. I felt the same for him so I decided to ask him out while he was sober...."

          Everyone went quiet, and Karina's eyes widened. Kotetsu scratched the back of his neck until she spoke again, "So you don't even care if someone else liked you first.... Do you....?" Kotetsu, thoroughly confused, looked over at Barnaby, who shrugged. "What are you talking about, Rose....?" He asked, earning a very sharp slap to the face. "Don't act like you didn't know!!! I loved you before he did!!!! Why did you have to choose him?!?!" Kotetsu's eyes widened and he took a step back before looking away, clearly hurt. Barnaby's eyes softened and he stood,"Rose, that was uncalled for. We all know Kotetsu can be rather oblivious to many things, including crushes. I don't know why he fell in love with me, but he did. And I understand that in making me happy, he has hurt you, but understand this: you are too young for him.... You're still a teenager." Karina growled and corrected him saying she was the age of eighteen. "But even at eighteen, you are still too young for him. He's in his thirties, Rose.... Don't you think he would feel weird dating someone as young as you? I know it hurts, but you have more time to find someone special than most of us who are older than you." Karina looked away, and when she looked up she saw Kotetsu had left the room.

          She dropped her gaze back to the floor in guilt. She was so angry, she didn't even notice that she had hurt Kotetsu. Barnaby sighed before patting her shoulder and leaving the room to find Kotetsu. Karina took a step to go with him, but Pao-Lin stopped her. "Nope. Not until you calm the hell down. Karina, hurt or not, that really was uncalled for. Kotetsu didn't know how you felt, and Barnaby just happened to be who he fell for. Instead of wishing them happiness, you just made him feel guilty. You need to calm down before you even think of talking to him again." Karina looked down and nodded; she was right. She had acted out of anger instead of thinking things through. She looked at the door then just left the room to get some air. As she reached the balcony, she saw Kotetsu and Barnaby leaning on the rail.

          "I never knew she liked me..... It was right under my nose, and I never realized it....." Kotetsu said, his voice hoarse from trying to keep his emotions steady. Barnaby rubbed his back softly, "I know, Kotetsu..... But please, don't beat yourself up for it.... I know you feel bad about this, but it isn't your fault......" Barnaby tried to hug him but was pushed away. "I need to sort some things out..... I don't know what to do or how to feel......" Barnaby looked down, clearly hurt, "You don't have to deal with this alone...... But I'll respect your decision....." He let go of Kotetsu and walked back toward the door, and Kotetsu could swear he saw Barnaby wipe tears away. He sighed and ran over to him and hugged him tight. "I'm sorry...... I didn't mean to hurt you, too, Bunny...... I just feel so lost..... And I didn't want to drag you into my problems......" He said softly. He could feel Barnaby shaking in his embrace. "But isn't that part of being lovers.... And even being partners......? To help each other with their problems??? When we were trying to solve my parent's murder you never left MY side!! So why push me away when you have a problem of your own???" Barnaby yelled as he looked right at Kotetsu, tears streaming down his face. Kotetsu's eyes widened then softened. "You're right.... I should let you be there for me as I was there for you...... I just..... what Rose said hurt..... And it was my fault that she said that...... I didn't know what to do because at this point, to love one would hurt the other...... And she is too young for me..... I'm in my thirties, she just turned eighteen...... And you just turned twenty-eight...... Besides..... I've loved you for a year now...... You're caring and compassionate...... You're blunt, too, when you need to be...... You're an amazing partner..... Of course, I would fall for you.... I never meant to hurt Rose..... But the damage is done, and I don't know what to do....." He said as tears of his own fell. Barnaby hugged him tight before looking up and kissing him, trying to find some way to comfort his hurt boyfriend. Kotetsu kissed him back, but it didn't help any. Barnaby laid his head on Kotetsu's chest and tried to think of something that could help. "What if we go get some fried rice.....?" Kotetsu shrugged,"I'm not hungry, Bunny....." Barnaby nodded; he wasn't either. "I'm sorry..... This is my fault...... If I had never confessed to you, thks situation would've never happened......." Kotetsu's eyes darkened as he tightened his grip. "Bunny..... Even if you didn't confess, I would never date her due to her age..... Plus, like I said, I'm in love with YOU...... You make me happy..... Just right now, I'm still trying to process everything...... Come on.... We can go see a movie at my place and try to sort this out together....." Barnaby nodded slowly and let go of Kotetsu, who then took Barnaby's hand as they walked inside.