Chapter 4

When the duo returned to the others, they saw the change in both men's body language. Earlier, they were happy and even playful, but now they seemed heavy-hearted and depressed, especially Barnaby due to guilt. Kotetsu looked over at him and rubbed his side gently, causing Barnaby to shake his head. "I'm sorry.... This is my fault....." All the others rushed to reassure him that it wasn't. "No way, Handsome. She just responded poorly to the surprise. Give her time, and I bet you she'll apologize," Nathan said softly. Barnaby didn't say a word and shook his head before shaking again. Knowing his partner hated losing his cool in front of the others, Kotetsu led Barnaby to a side room and sat him on the couch, and Barnaby hugged Kotetsu tight as he could without powering up and sobbed into his chest. Kotetsu held him close and rubbed his back gently before laying down with him, hoping that would comfort him. "Bunny.... Please, don't blame yourself..." Kotetsu said quietly, wiping away tears from his younger partner's eyes. Barnaby just buried his face in Kotetsu's chest until they heard a quiet knock on the door. "Sorry, now isn't a good time.... Can you come back later?" Kotetsu called to the knocker. "I need to talk to you guys....." Both men tensed when they heard Karina's voice came from the door. Kotetsu looked at Barnaby, who nodded despite being upset, "Fine.... You can come in...." 

          They heard the door open and then close, but neither man looked at her. She saw Barnaby trying to hide his face in Kotetsu's chest and Kotetsu trying to get him to relax. Her eyes darkened as she pulled a chair across from the couch. "I was on my way to get some air when I heard you guys out there.... I heard the whole conversation...... I'm so sorry....." Kotetsu stopped rubbing Barnaby's back and looked right at her, and she saw the look of an angry tiger in his eyes. "Do you really think that a 'sorry' is going to help? We didn't know you had a crush on me. And you confess to me in rage. You made Barnaby blame himself for the whole situation. You heard the conversation. You know how much you hurt him... How much you hurt me...." Karina looked away in guilt. She knew she hurt them. She didn't realize she would get this response. However, she persisted. "I know I hurt you both a lot.... And I really am sorry..... I have a tendency to act before I think..... Is there anything I can do to make it up to you two....?" Kotetsu started to speak, but Barnaby cut him off. "Give us some time.... And try to think before you act.... Kotetsu makes me happier than I have ever been. You should prove that you love him by supporting what makes him happiest."

          Kotetsu looked at Barnaby then back at Karina,who nodded. "You're right.... I let my emotions run too wild.... Again, I'm sorry....." She got up and walked out of the room,leaving the two to sort things out. Kotetsu sighed and looked back at Barnaby. "Kotetsu.... She was being sincere.... Maybe we should forgive her...." Kotetsu nodded. "You alright...?" Barnaby shrugged; it was going to take time to overcome today, but he was going to try his best. Kotetsu sat up and kissed Barnaby, who froze for a second before kissing him back. He wrapped his arms around Kotetsu's neck as Kotetsu held him by the waist. That was when their com units went off. "Tiger, Barnaby, we have a hostage situation. I'm sending you both the coordinates of the location. Get there pronto!" Agnes said before hanging up.The men jumped up and ran to get their suits on. Once changed, they ran to their bikes and rode to the position of the coordinates. They dodged traffic as they sped to the designated spot Agnes gave them. Upon arrival, they saw the police cars, and heard a child's cry for help. Kotetsu's eyes widened and he rushed to the scene. "Tiger! Wait!!" Kotetsu stopped and looked at Barnaby. "Bunny, a child is in danger.... I can't sit back and let them get hurt...." Barnaby took his hand, knowing full well that a camera was most likely on them. "I know... But until we know the situation, we could possibly be putting that child in more danger.... Please, be patient...." Kotetsu looked away and flipped his face plate up, as did Barnaby. "This is driving me up the wall.... I can't imagine my daughter being in this position..... What if that's her in there???" 

          Barnaby shook his head, "It isn't. And whoever it is, we'll save them. But right now, we have to wait for the green light to take action.... Besides, I have a plan. I'll distract the criminal while you save the child...." Kotetsu nodded. That was when they heard Agnes give the cue. Both partners had their plates up and shared a kiss for good luck before flipping the plates back down and rushing into their plan. Barnaby strategically distracted the criminal, leading him away while Kotetsu sneaked over to the child and picked him up. He powered up and used his one minute of power to rush out of the building with the child. Once back outside, Kotetsu ran out of power as he gave the child back to his parents. He looked back at the building and saw Barnaby walk out carrying the criminal over his shoulder. "Looks like you took care of the criminal. Nice work, Bunny." Barnaby smiled and punched his shoulder gently before giving the criminal over to the police. "Looks like someone stuck to the plan. Nice work, Old Man." Kotetsu flipped his plate back up and exclaimed, "HEY!!" Barnaby chuckled; this teasing always cheered him up. "Shut up and come here, Tiger..." he said before flipping his own plate up and kissing Kotetsu, who immediately kissed him back.