4. Taken

***

DIRECTLY ACROSS THE FOOD STALLS lay booths that sold wares, silk and gems among others. Bedizened hats that bordered on outrageous lined the outside of booths selling equally gaudy dresses and suits. A mixture of fuchsia and lavender, threads of lemon green and baby blue... I had never seen so much color before. The dresses I owned were custom made, sure, but they were tailored to my grandmother's taste: dull, boring shades of gray and black.

          I touched the fabric of the gown hung on the pole of a booth manned by a cranky old lady. The neckline dipped so low that it left little to the imagination; the slit on the sides reached just below the hips and the back was left bare. The bright red gown was cut in places that would make the people question your modesty. I wondered if someone actually wore this into events.

          Beside me, Valentina flitted into different booths like a butterfly, haggling and flirting—whichever gave her the cheapest price. As for me, I trailed after her, barely managing to keep up. So far we had bought an ornate emerald hairpin that wouldn't suit any of my dresses and a pair of silver bracelets. I told her I didn't need it. No one wore jewelry when they stayed at home where no one could see.

          "You wear it for yourself, Eliza," she told me, rolling her eyes.

          For the first part of our stroll, I kept my gaze downcast, staring at the pavement, waiting anytime for someone to notice and whisper about me. My back was hunched, an attempt at trying not to catch anyone's attention. The quiet that would fall on the crowd as they realize that the girl with the demon's heart walked among them would soon cut my trip short. It was the usual case in Horiva when I visit my mother's grave yearly.

          But nothing happened.

          Here in Sarzoe, where a multitude of people come and go, it was as if I was invisible. No one gave me a second look, no one paused to try to place my face, no one knew me. The people were much more engaged in other things and the bustling crowd didn't bat an eye as I walked past. As soon as I realized this small blessing, I allowed myself to get out of my shell even for a moment. I dared talk to the shopkeepers and tried to bargain, I laughed at the jokes of a clown and beamed at a toddler and her mother. The heavy feeling that once took ahold of me seemed to slowly dwindle and I found myself smiling. I was so used to constant scrutiny and contempt that for once, being invisible left me euphoric.

          Valentina and I were nearing the end of the stalls. The bright dresses and gowns were replaced with charms, trinkets, and curios. At the far end of the row sat a booth unusually bigger than its neighbors. The hut was expansive and occupied a space good for two booths. Outside, it displayed a row of talismans and amulets. Just beside them was an array of knives and daggers. A man who looked as though he had seen better days stood guard, toothpick in his mouth.

          I glanced at Valentina who was inspecting a scented candle.

          "Valentina?"

          "Hm?"

          "I'll just be for a moment," I said. Her answer was a shrug.

          I made my way towards the hut. I had never seen one but I've read enough books about Mages to know that this was a spellstore. The man didn't pay any attention to me as I sauntered towards the items for sale.

          The talismans varied from small ones who could create a ward for a moving carriage to large ones that could ward a whole house. There were amulets similar to my bronze pendant that were charmed to repel a vedraza's influence.