Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Shouldn't you be in bed, puppy?" Dante asked when his husband slumped into his home office. It seemed very unnerving that only a few days ago they had both had a much better experience in that room, yet Dante knew that wasn't Fionn's motive that night.

Fionn was wearing a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie that swamped his body. He looked a wreck and his thoughts didn't say otherwise. He was deep in grief. Dante knew there was a part of his husband that blamed himself, and another part that blamed the vampire, though neither reared their heads.

"Can't sleep," Fionn mumbled, his eyes red and a little swollen from his obvious crying. His voice sounded raspy, even his thoughts were broken and weak. If Dante didn't know how strong Fionn was as a person, he would fear that his husband may hurt himself to relieve some pain.

"Come here," Dante shuffled his chair back a little, allowing Fionn to curl up on his lap, their chests pressed together. Warmth flooded Dante from their close contact, a feeling he had grown to rather enjoy. He usually couldn't detect temperature changes, due to his flesh being dead, but could somehow always feel the heat emanating from his husband.

"Nightmares?" Fionn shook his head, his eyes already closed and his head resting in the crook of the vampire's neck.

"Just can't sleep, don't wanna be alone," he murmured into Dante's shirt, clutching onto the silky fabric. Dante wrapped his arms around his grieving husband, wishing he could will away the pain from the wolf. He would do it in a heartbeat, if he had one that was.

"You're never alone, puppy," Dante pressed a gentle kiss to Fionn's dishevelled hair, wondering how to broach the next topic on his mind, "may I ask you a question?"

"Mhmm."

"How would you feel if Arlo and Kastor were to stay with my father for a little while? Just until this Delta problem is taken care of," Fionn sighed deeply, remaining silent for a few moments.

"It sounds like a really good idea," he said quietly, "they'll be safer away from us," Dante had expected an argument with Fionn, though his husband likely didn't have the energy after what had happened earlier that day.

Dante simply held Fionn for the next hour, listening to his husband's gentle breathing. He had fallen asleep rather quickly, clearly exhausted. Fionn wasn't dreaming, Dante could see that, but the darkness he had slipped into was benevolent, rather than malicious.

"Amaris? I wasn't expecting to hear from you, is something the matter?" Isidro's voice crackled down Dante's phone, which he hoped wouldn't wake Fionn.

"Alpheus was found dead this afternoon," Isidro didn't respond for a few seconds, "it was Delta, that much we know. Their sick little Christmas present to Fi."

"How is Fionn?" Isidro's voice didn't express much concern or empathy but Dante knew his father cared. He simply didn't show it, probably why Dante didn't either.

"Not in great shape, though that's to be expected. This murder spree has gone on too long, Delta is getting closer to us, obviously wanting to inflict mental pain before physical," Dante shushed Fionn as he stirred, rubbing the wolf's back.

"What can I do to help?"

"I know it's a lot to ask but could Arlo and Kastor stay with you until we're safe? I fear they're the next that Delta will target," Isidro chuckled lightly and Dante could hear Yareli squealing again in the background, nothing ever stayed secret around vampires for long.

"Of course, Amaris, we would be happy to have them. It's no trouble to us," Dante smiled weakly, turning on his computer, "we're in Hong Kong at the moment, we were going to leave tomorrow but we can stay for a few days."