Chapter 8

The next day, it was only Adam and I at the dining table again. I grew worried. Mum should be ok now and is supposed to be having breakfast with us but she isn't. I think Dad hasn't been honest with us about how Mum's health really is. Adam might accept what he has been told but I can't, I am older than him and can realise when something isn't right.

"Dad how is Mum?" was my greeting question when Dad came down the stairs looking grim.

"I'm afraid she has a fever," Dad replied sadly. Adam and I stopped chewing our food immediately. A fever? Oh no! Just the other week, a neighbour died from a fever. Now I am really worried. How am I going to cope at work today? All I will be thinking about is Mum. "The Doctor is on his way to see her. You'll have to go to this morning's catch alone and open up without me today,"

"That's ok but when can we see Mum?"

"I don't want you seeing her. You'll catch the fever too,"

"Mum will be ok won't she?" Adam asked worriedly.

"Of course she will be ok, don't worry," Dad assured Adam with a smile but then shared a worried look with me because we both knew there was a chance Mum wouldn't make it with having a fever. A fever was very serious, not many people were known to recover from it. If Mum doesn't recover then I don't know what I will do, she is my Mum. I can't live without her. Neither of us can. Especially Dad as my parents were childhood sweet hearts and have always been together since, I don't think he will manage without her even though he has Adam and I to live for. Mum is his soul mate. Without her, half of his soul will die. It's natural for him to want to stay at home with her. "I'll see you both later,"

Dad left the room before Adam and I left the house separately.

Once I was out at sea on the boat, I was at ease. All my worry for Mum disappeared. All I could feel was the cool breeze on my face and I could see the waves, I also could see the odd fish or two. It was the only good thing about my job. Sailing at sea was calming and made me forget about everything else and I could just concentrate on what I was currently doing which was finding a good spot for the morning's catch.

I found a good spot and began the morning's catch.

When I had caught enough sea creatures, I headed back to the shore. I made my way to the shop where my colleagues were waiting to help me unload the morning's catch after which the selling began.

It was difficult working because all I could think about was Mum. It's good Dad is at home with her because if anything happens, he can call a doctor and Mum can have a chance of surviving unlike if she was alone.

Despite being really anxious about Mum, I carried on with work because it was my responsibility to keep the business going now that Mum and Dad couldn't even though it was still the worst job in the world to me. If only Adam was older then he could take over seeing as he loves the job and can't get enough of it. He would be perfect at it and maybe then my parents would let me pursue a different career. I don't know what that could be as I've never been given the opportunity to explore other careers.

I really hope mum is ok because nothing would be the same without her.

Don't forget to vote, comment, follow me and add this story to your library to get a notification for the next update!