Chapter 9

The next morning, I heard Dad go into the bathroom and decided it was my chance to see Mum. I only got as far as opening the door before Dad turned up and wouldn't let me step a foot inside their room.

"Dad I want to see Mum," I moaned.

"Tough, you can't," Dad replied.

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want you getting sick too,"

"But-" I tried to argue.

"No buts, get out of here," Dad told me in a stern voice.

I reluctantly walked away and headed downstairs. I understand Dad doesn't want Adam or I to catch a fever from Mum but what about him? He isn't immune to it, he could catch it too. I guess he doesn't care. He loves Mum and has to be close to her. I love mum too and want to see her. I should be allowed to visit her.

Thinking of Mum was really upsetting but I tried to not let it get to me because everyone was relying on me to bring the bread home. Anyway, I'd better get to it.

I got all the fishing gear I needed and headed to our boat to set sail. Even though I hated fish mongering , I really enjoyed the journey across the sea. It was peaceful and eased my mind with the quietness and the cool breeze that swept over me. The sea was also beautiful as the sun began to set. The sun was reflecting in the water creating a blaze of colour. It really is something, the only good thing about being a fish monger really. Today and yesterday, I had the opportunity to enjoy it alone making it even more special.

The actual catching of sea creatures was a bore and tiring with loading and unloading nets. Once it was done, I headed back to start making money.

***

After a long depressing day at work, I went home and took a much needed shower but as usual the sea smell lingered. Dad was nowhere to be seen so I assumed he was with Mum and Adam texted me that he was having dinner at his mates house which I didn't mind. I would have some peace and quiet for a few hours.

After having dinner, Adam returned home and began watching T.V. I would have joined him but I decided against it.

"Seeya in the morning," I said.

"Seeya," Adam replied before I headed upstairs.

As soon as my head hit the pillow, I fell into a deep sleep.

It was a normal day and as usual I got up really early for the morning's catch on my own. I loaded the net on the bay and lowered it down into the sea. Once the net was full, the bay was brought back up onto the boat and began to unload it.

After some time, something shiny caught my eye amongst the pile of fish. I moved the fish aside with my hands to see what it was and once uncovered, I was surprised to see a fish I had never seen before. I expected to be disgusted at the mere sight of the fish as usual but I was wrong. This fish was different. In fact, it was the most beautiful fish I had ever seen in my life. My whole hatred of fish went out the door. The fish was so shiny and looked nice to touch. It's scales were unlike any I had ever seen, they shone in the sunlight like treasure. The fish had the most adorable eyes which once I looked into, I couldn't tear my gaze away from.

The fish seemed as mesmerised with me as I was with it. It didn't take it's small eyes off me, not even for a second. I don't know what was going on but I was happy. The happiest I have ever been in my entire life.

I found myself leaning in closer and closer to the fish until there was almost no space to breathe. The fish seemed to like me being so close to it and the next thing I knew, our lips were joined together and we were passionately kissing. Then-

I woke up startled. What the hell had I just dreamed? I was kissing a bloody fish! Ugh! I'm scarred for life. I will never forget what I have seen. I would never kiss a fish in real life, the thought wouldn't even cross my mind. What was that dream even about? Does it mean I will begin to like fish or something? Nah, I can never see my hatred of fish ever going away. I will always hate the slimy creatures. Just the thought of kissing one makes me want to gag, what a disgusting dream. The worst one I've ever had in my life. I hope it doesn't come again. I hate those annoying dreams that repeat. You never want to have them again yet they creep up on you and you're thinking 'here we go again' and wishing for it to go away.

I shook my head with the hope that the horrible dream would go away but it was no use. It was now embedded in my brain to remain forever.

Don't forget to vote, comment, follow me and add this story to your library to get a notification for the next update!