The intruder again

The bird was still struggling, though feebly now as one of his wings had been dislocated while the cat dragged it of into a shrubbery to delight in both the nourishing meal and the play the still living bird would provide.
The decision whether rather drag the prey farther into its territory to be save from intruders but maybe being seen by larger and different carnivores or to stay near the boundary of its territory and risk that another feline might come and challenge it for the land as much as for the bird was made by both the hunger and the closeness of bushes.
The fish had been a good meal, too, but it had been so too long ago to still satisfy.
Originally the cat had been on its way to the pond again to appease its stomach with the help of another fish but the bird had been too good an opportunity to miss.

Now however it seemed as if - even after a successful hunt - the cat might still miss out on the meal.

The other cat from the alleyway with the dumpster was back and this time it was closer.

Hungry, too, by the looks of it.

And it wouldn't remain a stand-off this time.
So much was obvious from the proximity and the other cats stance: Its fur was standing on end, attempting to make the cat appear bigger. Its ears were turned backwards, halfway flattened against its head. The tail was pointing backwards but down, swishing from side to side, showing that it was potentially aggressive as well as excited. Also, it was growling menacingly. The last clue to look for are the claws - they were fully unsheathed, ready to cause real damage.

To the cat it was clear that it was challenged for the quivering bird in its jaws.

Last time it had ended with both cats leaving, what the cat had been grateful for, as the opponent had been imposing.
Now, only a few days later, the opponent looked worse for wear, emaciated with matted fur and a new gash to its ear.

The cat was at a disadvantage due to the bird lodged between its teeth compared to its opponent. That cat could use its teeth to harm while the cat had to use its teeth to keep a hold onto its prey or the other would try and swoop in and run off with the bird.

For the cat running off in its own territory wasn't an option. Running off would be as good as forfeiting this part of the territory. The part with the pond and the porch under which it remained warm even on snowy nights.

Therefore the fight would happen. Maybe after the other cat had lost it would stop intruding and challenging the cat.