Mutual

"Steve... You know that this relationship isn't worth it anymore." Nancy frowned.

"What do you mean?" Steve whispered.

"I don't love you Steve, and I honestly don't think it matters if I still did. I don't think you love me either." She crossed her arms while raising her eyebrow.

"I do." Steve spoke as his voice had a waiver in it. Then his eyes trailed across the school yard.

"Are you sure because I honestly think you're in love with y/n.... Did you even hear me?" Steve didn't respond, and Nancy looked where Steve looked. "Of course you're looking at her Steve. Admit it. We both love or at least like different people now." She returned her gaze to him.

Steve also looked to her taking a deep breath, "Okay then... If we break up, we break up, but this is a mutual break up."

"Mutual. Okay. A mutual breakup it is. Goodbye Steve." Just like that Nancy was gone, and Steve remained frozen in place.

Steve then returned his gaze to you. You were wearing headphones listening to your Walkman while reading on the lawn. He didn't know why he liked you so much. You mainly stayed to yourself, but you also were very nice, at least to him. He didn't know much about you, but he was always interested in you.

He wasn't sure what to do. He wanted to talk to you, but the thought of talking to you made him extremely nervous. He never knew why either. He knew he liked you, but he just couldn't figure you out.

He decided to leave you alone, and he walked back into the gym. The rest of the day was long and slow, and all he heard was the talk of his and Nancy's breakup.

The next day was particularly odd. Everywhere he looked he saw you. He'd pass you by in the hallway, and you'd smile nodding to him each time. It made him blush as tingles ran down his arms. He was so lost in thought that he bumped right into you.

"Oh, I'm sorry... I really wasn't paying attention." Steve felt heat rush to his cheeks as he rubbed his neck.

"It's okay. The question is are you okay? You've been acting odd all week. I don't want to say it's because of Nancy, but you started acting odd around the time you broke up." You walked closer to him.

"Oh... I didn't notice." He put on a smile trying to change the topic.

"Yeah, you've kinda lost your repertoire. You've spent a lot of time to yourself which is just odd for you." You frowned.

"I really don't care about any of that anymore. I just... Can you help me?" He looked to you.

"Depends. What am I gonna be helping you with?" You giggled.

"I need some advice. What would you do if you liked someone, but they were unavailable? Well they aren't dating someone. I just feel like they wouldn't want to date me, but I really like her."

"I'll date you."

"Wha... What?"

"I'll date you. It's me you're referring to isn't it?" You smirked.

"How... How did you know?"

"Nancy told me." You whispered.

"Why?" Steve sounded irritated.

"I... I might've asked her if you liked me." You bit the inside of your cheek as you looked to the ground.

That's when Steve's voice got soft, "You... Do you like me too?"

You still looked to the floor beneath you as you shook your head.  That's when you felt him wrap his arms around your waist. You laid your hands on his chest as your mind began to race. His mind was also racing as he rubbed your back. You could feel his heart beat rapidly.

"Yes Steve. I like you." You looked up at him, and he was already looking to you.

"And I really like you." He softly smiled.

You moved your hands up to wrap them around his neck, and he pulled you closer by your waist. You couldn't help but blush. Then Steve had the brightest of smiles.

"I know you're not one to skip school, so how about when it ends, we both go to the movies and then grab a bite at the diner close to the theatre." Steve spoke.

"I'm sorry I don't like to skip, but I'd like that a lot. I guess it's good that school just ended." You lifted up your watch, and he looked to it.

"How convenient. I guess that means we can get to our date now." Steve chuckled.

"I guess so." You smirked. Then you pulled away from him and held his hand.

He just shook his head and began to walk with you. "You're so cute, I just don't get it."

"I'll take that as a compliment. Now, to the movies and the popcorn." You giggled as you pointed forward.