Plans

It was finally summer. You had just graduated from high school, and you felt so relieved. You'd be able to enjoy the summer with your best friend Steve.

Well, you intended on spending summer with him until he called telling you he got a job at the new mall. It wasn't the end of the world, but you just wanted more time with him. He was your only friend. Many people thought it was weird that you both were friends, such an odd pair. During school, people often teased you for being "allowed" to be with him and his group. He often would sort the situation out, so you wouldn't have bullies for too long.

You would admit it was odd, but in a typical manner he was much different with you outside of school. He was sweet, and he didn't focus on his "King" title. Though you would say he was more "kingly" outside of school. Sometimes you would wonder what he would have been like to you if you hadn't been friends since you were children.

You walked into Steve's new workplace, Scoops, and he smiled while he served customers. When he finished, he walked from behind the counter to give you a hug. Then, you both went to one of the booths to spend time with each other on his break.

"So, why an ice cream shop?"

"I didn't get accepted to college, and I am not going to college in the fall-"

The word college. Your mind went in a frenzy. You realized you hadn't even looked for any colleges. If you didn't look for any colleges, you couldn't be accepted. You couldn't actually go to any college. What if you didn't have time to apply anywhere? What if you couldn't get anything you needed? All the thoughts began to spiral in your head, and you had long forgotten that Steve was still talking. Panic was beginning to bubble up, but then you felt a hand and voice.

"Y/n... Y/n..."

You realized Steve was holding your hand, and he looked extremely concerned. You took a breath and calmed down.

"Sorry... It's just... You mentioned college and..."

"You'll be fine y/n. You'll be able to get into college and shoot for the stars. Unlike me, you actually spent your time studying and staying on top. Besides, your family believes in you, and I believe in you."

He squeezed your hand, and that is when you realized he was still holding your hand. You looked to both your and Steve's hands. You felt your checks heat up, and you looked back to Steve. He let go of your hand and looked away. He rubbed the back of his neck and nervously laughed.

"Uhh... I have to get back to work..." He quickly got up trying to walk away.

"Steven Thomas Harrington... Don't you leave me." You frowned reaching out for him.

He turned back to you and sat back down. His cheeks were red. He pushed his hair back.

"So... Ummm.... Y/n..."

"Yeah?"

"I... I... I'm just going to say it. I really like you. Like I have those gushy feelings for you. I just... I don't want to ruin our friendship."

You blushed and giggled, "You can't ruin what we have Steve. We've been together since we were little, and we always will be. It doesn't matter if were just friends or in a relationship. Your a part of me and my family."

"Thanks y/n, but can you... Can you maybe give me a more specific answer?"

"I like you Steve."

"Like?"

"I have gushy feelings for you too doofus."

You reached out to grabed his hand, and his smile widened. He sat on the side of the booth you were on. He apparently was very happy because his smile went from ear to ear.

Steve pulled you to him in a bear hug. He placed one hand on the top of your head and swayed with you back and forth. You kept your hands on his chest and closed your eyes.

"I've been thinking about telling you how I've felt for the past couple of weeks. I'm glad I finally... Or well you finally made me say something."

"Me too Steve."

He pulled away, and his smile was still just as bright. "I really have to get back to work. As soon as I get off, maybe we can go to the movies, and tomorrow we can go to the library and look up stuff for college. Maybe I'll apply where you apply."

"You know I'm not going to be with any other guy."

"I know. I just think I want to go to college especially since you would be there to keep me focused and going."

"Okay Steve. See you tonight."