Let's Dance

You sat at home not doing much. You were bored, but you didn't know what to do.

You were about to get some food when the phone rang. You went to it and picked it up. "Hello?"

"Y/n. Hey. Uh do you wanna ride with me and Dustin? I'm taking him to the snowball." Your best friend Steve was the one who called.

He'd been going through a tough spot after his breakup with Nancy. He was strong, but you could tell when he was sad. You did everything you could to make him feel better.

"Sure."

"Great. I'll be at your place in a bit."

He hung up, and you did the same. You got up and got dressed from out of your pyjamas. Then you brushed your hair and put on your shoes. That's when the doorbell rang.

You grabbed a purse and key locking the door when you stepped out. You smiled as you got in the passenger seat.

"Hey Dustin. You should've sat up front."

"Hey y/n. Oh I was sitting up front until Steve called you. When he found out you were coming, he made me move to the back. I'm going to to say Steve has a little-"

"On the road we go!" Steve interrupted starting the car.

You turned around and looked to Dustin. He smiled and wiggled his eyebrows. You just giggled turning back around.

"What?" Steve spoke.

"Nothing." You shrugged.

Steve turned up the music, and you all sat in silence until you decided to speak.

"So let me guess. Steve here told you how to do your hair. He told you about the Farah Fawcett hairspray."

Steve momentarily looked to you. "How did you know about the hairspray?"

You sighed rolling your eyes. "Steve, I'm your best friend. I've been to your house. The hairspray is right on your dresser."

"Oh yeah... Forgot about that." Steve looked back to the road. Thankfully he pulled up to the school. "Here we are."

"Dustin, I hope you have a great time. Just remember to be yourself and have fun." You smiled.

"Don't get into to much trouble, and if someone messes with you, you tell me. I'll make sure to knock some sense into them." Steve spoke.

Dustin rolled his eyes as he opened the door. "Alright mom and dad. I'll see you both at the end of the dance."

You and Steve watched him walk into the middle school. Steve was about to start the car when you heard your favorite song playing inside the gym. You stepped out of the car and began to dance around. Steve laughed as he fondly watched you. He couldn't help but smile as he watched you.

Then you stopped and looked at Steve. "What're you still doing in the car? Come on Harrington, let's dance."

Steve sighed getting out of the car. He put his hands in his pockets as he walked to you.

You met him halfway and pulled his hands out of his pockets. "We can't dance if you're just going to keep your hands in your pockets."

You giggled as you held his hands. Then you began to dance with him. You were having so much fun with him. Then Steve randomly picked you up bridal style and spun you around. He still held you in his arms when he stopped.

"Steve... What're you doing?" You smiled as he looked to you.

"I..." Steve put you down and went back to his side of the car.

"Steve? Did I do something wrong."

He looked up to you and momentarily smiled. "No. I just... I'm ready to go."

"Oh. Okay." You got in the car, and Steve began to drive.

You were surprised when he pulled up in a field. He left the car on and turned the volume to the radio up. He got out of the car and walked to your side. He opened the door and held his hand out to you.

"I'm going to be cheesy and dance with you under the stars." Steve smiled.

"Aww Steve..." You grabbed his hand and he walked with you before beginning to dance with you again.

You looked up to the stars that twinkled in the sky. They were so pretty. Then you looked into Steve's eyes. His eyes were one of the first things you were attracted to. He just was so.... Fantastic.

"Steve-"

"I think I have feelings for you." Steve interrupted you.

"You... You do?"

"Yeah. I do, and if you don't feel the same way, I totally understand."

"Steve... I've had feelings for you since fifth grade." You blushed, but you still looked at his brown orbs.

"N/n... Why didn't you tell me?"

"I dunno. I guess I was scared that you wouldn't be my friend anymore."

"Y/n I'm always going to be your friend. We're best friends that just happened to like each other. You know." Steve smiled.

"Eheh I guess so." You both laughed for a while until you both stopped.

Then Steve pressed his lips to your own. You wrapped your arms around his neck and tangled your hands in his hair. Eventually you both pulled away, and Steve smiled.

"So... Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Of course Steve." You kissed his cheek and held his hand. Then you looked down to your watch.

"Crap. We need to get back to the school. The dance is fixing to be over. We don't want to leave Dustin waiting."

You both got in the car and drove to the school. Right when you made it to the school, Dustin walked out. He got in the car and you frowned. He seemed saddened.

"Dustin.... Is everything okay?"

"No one danced with me. I mean I danced with people, but I never got to just dance with one girl."

You turned to face him and smiled. "Well then dance with me. I mean I know I'm probably not you're first choice, but I love to dance."

"Well... Fine."

You both got out of the car and Steve turned up the music. You began to dance with Dustin.

"Those girls don't know they're missing out on Dustin you're one of the most amazing people I know. You're smart, funny, kind. You're your own individual. You stand up for what you believe in, and you're a great friend. To be honest, your my favorite kid in the party. In fact your probably my favorite kid ever. Well I mean your a teenager now too but yeah. You inspire me Dustin."

Dustin blushed as you continued to dance.

"And to be honest, we're young. We have our whole lives ahead of us. People are going to come and go in our lives. It's probably weird for me to say that since I just now decided to date Steve. Uh anyway. The point is you'll find someone some day, and when you do, she'll love you for you. Until that time, you call me okay? I'll be there for you okay?"

"Thanks y/n. I think you're awesome too."

You hugged him, and then you both got in the car.

"Hey, it's my two favorite people." Steve smiled.

"Steve you're hilarious."