Chapter Twenty-Seven

The next few days were not the usual ones anymore. While Madhumati's scowl for Arnav didn't stopped but it did lessen. Arnav could even swear he caught her smiling a few times at his stupid tantics. Even Garima and Shashi had forgiven him wholeheartedly by now. And as for Khushi, the ice was thwarting there as well. 

Following their dinner date which turned into something both of them had least expected, Arnav had been more energetic when it came to his redemption. He felt as if his efforts were reaping desirable results and that only encouraged him to work harder in his quest to win her heart. 

Things were finally getting better and the best of all was that, today was Holi--the day Khushi would visit Shantivan for the first time since she left. 

Arnav was nervous for this and he knew Khushi shared his feelings as well because on their drive to his house, she couldn't help but fidget with her dupatta. Sure she continued meeting the Raizadas even when she had left their house but it was either in the temples, or at her place or anywhere else. Khushi didn't know why but coming to this place seemed to be something hard to do. It beheld the memories of her heartbreak and every time she thought about it, all she could see was herself sobbing on its cold floor, abandoned by everyone she held dear. 

But today was the festival of colors. It was a joyful occasion and she was ready to put all that behind. There was no point dwelling in the past after all and with that thought, she pulled a smile on her face just as Arnav rang the doorbell. It was Hari Prakash who opened the door. He greeted Arnav, but at the sight of Khushi, froze. Khushi looked at him, then at Arnav with a stare that asked what-did-I-do but before Arnav could reply, Hari Prakash shrieked.

"Khu-Khushi Bhabhi! You're back!" Eyes filled with tears, Hari Prakash then flashed her a wide smile and welcomed her inside, eagerly, "Come, come. Naniji has been waiting for you ever since your family arrived earlier this morning." And sure enough, as soon as she entered the hall, Khushi was engulfed into a hug by Devyani whose eyes, Khushi noted when she broke the hug, were misted too.

"Khushi Bitiya, you have no idea how happy I am to see you here again." The elderly croaked before pecking her forehead lovingly.

"I'm happy to be back too." Khushi whispered, smiling through tears herself. 

Next was Anjali who limped forward and hugged her, her eyes like every other person in the hall, were teary. 

"Uh, excuse me ladies for interrupting you but now if you may please, can I meet my best friend too?" 

Anjali broke the hug and the trio looked back to see NK standing with crossed arms and pouted lips. Anjali and Devyani laughed and finally let go of Khushi who, whilst giggling, ran to embrace her friend warmly.

Akash and Payal along with Manorama and Manohar were next to enter the hall and just like NK, Anjali and Devyani, they all rushed to welcome Khushi--Manorama with her usual sneer though it looked feigned this time because her eyes were twinkling at the sight of Khushi. Finally, after about ten minutes, Khushi was able to escape the hugs and tears and trail along with a chuckling Arnav to the back lawn where the celebration would be taking place.

____________

The party continued in full swing. Silly giggles, blaring music, feet stomping the ground for the most ridiculous but still awesome intoxicated dance and laughter emitted from those dances--it all filled the atmosphere. White and yellow colored drapes were now covered in all sort of colors of all sort of shades. Even her white kurti was now coloured pink and red and god knows what other colors. 

Khushi looked around. 

On one side there were Akash and Payal, sitting on the swing after having drank only two glasses of bhang, all lost in each other's eyes. On the other side were some foreign business associates of Arnav, who were invited by Akash after they expressed their wish to witness one of the most popular and significant festival originated from India.