Chapter 3

,, But enough about me, try to draw something Markus. " said Carl supportively.

,, No, Carl. I mean what? It's not in my program-" struggled Markus but Carl interrupted him: ,, Anything you want. "

,, You can do it, Markus. " I tried encouraging him a little.

,, Go on, grab that canvas. " Carl gave him a push.

He looked lost for a while and then he looked around for something to draw.

,, Do something for me, close your eyes. " Carl said.

,, But-. " Markus struggled.

,, Close them. " said Carl gently.

Markus closed them at his command.

,, Imagine something that doesn't exist but express your feelings in it. " said Carl quietly so Markus could focus.

And just like that, Markus started to draw. He looked incredibly enchanting. It looked like he knew what he was doing despite struggling before.

Once he finished, me and Carl gasped at the view. It was so emotional just by looking at it. Even if most people saw Markus as an android, we, who get to spend time with him, know that he is more than machine designed to obey, he was very much alive.

After a moment of adoring his painting, Carl smiled.

,, Wow, Markus. " Carl said.

,, This is incredible, Markus! You looked like you knew what you were doing. " I was smiling.

Suddenly,  the door to the studio opened and we all looked to the direction. It was Leo.

,, Hey, dad. " he said quite happily, but that only meant that he wanted something.

,, Leo... Hi. " said Carl a bit uncomfortably.

He then looked at me which also made me uncomfortable. I automatically looked at Markus for some comfort but in this kind of situation, he couldn't do anything. He glanced at me, I knew he understood my glance.

Then, Leo looked at Carl again.

,, Look dad, I need some cash... " he started to grin.

,, What happened to the money I just gave you? " said Carl.

,, Well, it just.... goes, you know? " he laughed nervously.

,, You're on it again, aren't you? "

,, I just need some cash! That's all. " said Leo a bit aggressively.

,, Sorry, the answer is no. " said Carl.

I could sense the heavy atmosphere, it was very uncomfortable.

,, You never cared for me, dad. The only thing you ever cared about is this piece of plastic or that girl. But what has it got that I don't? True, I don't have artificial cyborg leg and big IQ as this plastic! " after that he pushed Markus backwards.

,, Leo, that's enough! " said Carl angrily.

I got a but annoyed as well.

,, Of course he's a lot smarter and better than you since he's not high on red ice all day. " I said a lot angrily than intended.

I sensed how his bad temper couldn't stand my remark. He started to slowly approach me but then he was speeding up to me.

,, Markus. " said Carl as Markus ran to my side.

Leo stopped in front of me.

,, Take that back. " he said angrily.

,, Leo, get out. " said Carl strictly.

,, I'm not going to until she takes that back! " he said stubbornly.

,, I can say it again and again with no regrets. " I glared back into his eyes.

He was ready to strike at me but this time Markus stood in front of me to block Leo from me completely. After that Leo ran away. I breathed a sigh of a relief.

,, I'm sorry, Carl. " I said sadly.

,, It's alright, you said nothing that wasn't right. " he reassured me.

I smiled faintly and wrapped my hands around Markus' muscular one. He looked at me.

,, Thank you, Markus. " I said with a smile.

,, It's nothing. " he said gently with a smile.

After that Carl coughed so we get his attention. We quickly looked his way.

,, I'm rooting for you two. " he smiled teasingly.

I laughed at his unbelievable remark.

,, That was the last thing I expected you to say, Carl. " I started to laugh.