Chapter 9

After Markus left, I couldn't fall asleep so I walked Sumo out before letting him go to sleep. The night seemed endless. Every minute passing by felt like ages and my worry and anxiety grew more intense and stronger.

I was so worried about Markus. It was my first time being left without him after the big night.

After a few attempts of a good sleep, I woke up, thinking about Markus again. It was a long and endless night before me. I tried to keep myself busy with reading,  listening to  MP3 player,  but nothing seemed to be making the time pass by even quicker.  I was checking the time every minute because each second felt like an hour.

Since I had a lot of time on my side, I thought about everything that had happened. Of course,  over thinking didn't help my anxiety to grow even more intense. I couldn't even blink my eyes, I just wanted Markus to come back.

When it was 5:30 am, I started to be even more and more worried. Soon my dad would wake up and check up on me and Markus wasn't here yet.  I felt really stressed and started to become really tired. I felt my eyes burn and I even had a headache due to the lack of sleep.

Suddenly there was a light knock on my window.  I hurriedly turned my head that direction and saw Markus stand there. I quietly opened the window for him. I took a few steps back to make a space for him to jump. Once he jumped in,  he tripped lightly over something which made him stumble forward to me. I felt his whole weight lean on me as I tried to catch him properly. We luckily didn't make much noise in the process. As he steadied himself, he looked to my eyes with a smile, but I noticed his smile slowly disappear after noticing the dark circles under my eyes.

,,  Welcome back.  " I smiled gently.

,,  Why didn't you try to sleep? " he looked worried.

,, Well,  Markus. Believe me,  I tried. " I grinned.

Suddenly we heard dad's room open which meant he was already awake. Me and Markus quickly went to our positions. I quickly jumped to my bed while Markus stood next to the door and closed his eyes.  I pretended to sleep as we heard the creaking sound of my door which was probably dad checking up on me. I heard him mumble something and then he got out of the sight.

I opened my eyes and looked at Markus who was already looking at me.

,, Just in time. " I said with a relief.

,, Your dad will want to talk to you about it today so try to catch some sleep at least. " Markus reminded me.

He looked worried. He probably blamed himself for that.

,, I will, come on Markus. " I patted the bed next to me as I invited him by my side.

He smiled gently as he removed his jacket. I moved to the edge of bed as Markus slowly got in. Once I've covered us with a blanket,  I snuggled to him and put my head on his chest. I could feel his synthetical heart that was thumping in his chest. It felt so relaxing because I knew he was right here with me. And with his relaxing beating heart, I have fallen asleep very deeply.

I had a long dream about Carl. It was back then when we were on a party and I was dancing with Markus. I've recalled all memories with him there. Since the start to his horrible end which awoke me with a start.  I felt Markus' arms tighten around me as if to reassure me. I breathed a sigh of relief but at the same time I started to cry which caused Markus to panic a bit.

,, Whatever it is, I'm here. " he said while stroking my back gently which made me feel so comfy but at the same time I had to let my tears pour.

,, I had a dream about Carl... I have recalled everything that we did together..  And just to know it was all gone just in a split of a second is so painful. " I sobbed quietly.

,, I know, Aly. We'll visit him together today, what do you say? " he looked down at me with a smile.

I nodded happily.

,,  What's the time?  "

,,  3 pm. " Markus answered.

I got up slowly and went towards the drawer. I looked through clothes and randomly picked something that would look presentably on me. After breakfast I did my hygiene and put thick jacket with scarf on me. Markus put his jacket on as well and we left outside to visit Carl's grave. Before we had gone outside,  I wrote my dad that we're heading out.

Once we have arrived, we cleaned Carl's grave from the snow that had fallen on it. We lighted up candles and put flowers under his picture.

,, Camelias. You used to love them a lot. " I said while remembering.

Markus put a scented candle, the scent of cinnamon and apple.

,, You loved Christmas,  dad. " he said with a sad smile.

It made me happy and sad at the same time when he called Carl a dad. I agreed, Carl always treated him like his own, he was the one to teach him about this life.

,, I miss you, Carl. ",, I miss you, dad. " we both said at the same time.

We both smiled at the thought of sharing the same feelings.

We told Carl what had happened so far and made sure to show him how much big of an impact he was in our lives.

Once we've told him everything we wanted, we promised to stop by again another day. As we were walking away together, side by side, I felt someone grab my hand roughly that I hurriedly looked up to see who it was. It was Leo,  of course.

At my defense, Markus grabbed Leo's hand roughly which made Leo let go of mine. I automatically reached for his hand and wrapped my hands around his as if in protection.

,, Haven't had enough? " said Markus a bit more strictly and angrily than he probably intended.

,, I just wanted to say.... Sorry..  " said Leo.

,, Your sorry means nothing for what you did. " I hissed at him angrily.

He looked a bit taken aback, probably surprised for not being forgiven. But what did he expect?

,, Don't ever cross our paths again. " said Markus as we slowly turned our backs towards him.

We left without looking back at him, letting Carl be in peace and letting him rest.