Chapter Four

Year: 2025

That was the last day I ever saw a familiar face. I hoped more Fae made it to safety instead of that haunting field.

After my run in with zombie Violet, I had holed myself in my tree for what seemed like weeks. When I finally mustered enough courage to venture outside, there were no signs of anyone anywhere.

I had even braved a quick trip to the clearing but the bodies were gone. Whether they had up walked off by themselves or had assistance, I had no clue.

Despite the loneliness, it was better than being swarmed by flesh eating creatures. That's why I scouted everyday. I was always hoping for survivors to come along but I had no such luck. If I did ever spot someone, they were infected. Most were humans, but every once in a while I'd spot a Fae. My hope for a survivor was what kept me going. As I continued my daily trek, I only kept wishing for some sign of non-zombie life.

After a good 15 minutes of walking, I finally reached the river which marked the end of my route. I sat myself down on my usual rock and looked out at the river.

This piece of water used to be a hub for activity. Fae would always be around. Of course, you'd see the typical water Fae like water nymphs and sprites, but others loved to swim or clean themselves off in the water. Now, it was just as empty as the rest of the forest.

My eyes prickled with the threat of tears, but now was not the time to cry. I couldn't sit here in self pity. I had to stay vigilant. You really never knew when a zombie would come wandering through.

Shaking off my emotions, I stood up and started the journey home. So far, I hadn't seen anyone or anything. It seemed like these days, the birds didn't even come out to sing. Everyday, my walks were just filled with silence.
Another 15 minutes pass as I finish my daily scouting and my tree finally comes into view.

My life was almost always in a state of Deja Vu. When something was different, it stood out like a giant in the middle of an open field. So from the moment I saw a set of footprints near my tree, my guard went up.

Worry hit me like tree falling down. Had the finally found me? Was my home no longer safe? Out if my peripheral, movement caught my attention. This caused my drop down and duck behind a bush at record speed.

Normally, the zombies never lingered around one spot. They were always looking for a new meal. The fact the whatever left the footprints might still be near terrified me.

The crack of a twig sounded like thunder in my ears. I feared that whatever was here, had spotted me. My only hope would be to get into my tree before the creature could get to me. I have to do this. I have to make a run for it.

All my muscles tightened in preparation for my sprint. It wasn't a far distance but I was enough for something to get me. Determination rushed through me as I leaped out of the bush and took off. Midway, I started to hear another set of feet running. I was maybe a couple yards away now. I was so close!

Just keep running! I internally screamed to myself. I'm almost safe!

I reached my arm out, forcing myself to run faster. I was mere feet away when a noise sounded out that made me stop instantly.

"Please! Wait! I'm not going to hurt you!"

Last I knew...zombies couldn't talk.