Chapter 6

Falconpaw looked back at the forest with an uncertain, longing glance. Would this really be the last time he ever saw his home? The place where he was born and spent most of his apprenticeship? The Clans crossed through LichenClan's territory, the pain of saying goodbye to Jaggedstar was still fresh on every cat's mind. Falconpaw wondered what the LichenClan leader would do on his own. He hoped that the rest of Jaggedstar's life was peaceful.

Falconpaw looked around LichenClan territory, this was his first time ever being here. It was full of thick foliage and many fallen trees. The trees had no leaves and the bark was chipping away. I wonder what this place looks like in greenleaf. He imagined it to be very lush and green, not dead and falling apart.

Behind him, Falconpaw heard the eager mews of Hollykit and Burnkit, sharing their verbal awe at being outside of SunClan territory. They're four moons old, but still too young to clearly understand what's happening. Falconpaw vaguely remembered leaving SunClan territory for the fire as well as the battle against Thornstar, he had been excited too but also too young to realize the dangers.

Hollykit and Burnkit weren't the only excited kits, Sagekit and Hailkit of AshClan were equally as excited. They were younger than Hollykit and Burnkit, they had no idea what was happening. Then there was Mistkit, Slatekit and Dewkit. They were too young to even be excited. The rode on the back of Ashblaze who walked proudly beside Riverstar. Ferretkit, Mothkit and Swankit were also rather young, but they didn't need to be carried. The kits of LichenClan were in a similar situation, Briarkit and Krestlekit were young and excited, but Emberkit and Dapplekit were being carried by their father, Foxtail.

Most of the apprentices understood what was happening, they were old enough and they were all scared. Falconpaw noticed a small, brown and white she-cat he was pretty sure was named Rabbitpaw walking close by Nightpaw, her head was ducked and her eyes full of fear.

Falconpaw was scared too, but he wouldn't show it. I have to be brave for my Clanmates. He held his head high and walked with certainty, despite the fears clawing at his heart. Falconpaw kept an eye on each of his Clanmates, Honeypaw was walking beside Pebblestep, both of their eyes filled with concern. Dawnstar was walking alongside the other leaders and Timbertail, along with their deputies. Cherryleaf was walking close beside Briarrose and Cloudspots, there was a sharp fear in Cherryleaf's eyes. Somehow, it didn't seem connected to what was happening. What's wrong with her? Falconpaw wondered.

"We're reaching the edge of LichenClan territory." Timbertail announced. "Beyond here is a thunderpath and a small twolegplace. We'll cross a sharp fence so be careful when going under it."

"What's a fence?" Feathercloud of MoonClan questioned, tilting her head slightly.

"It's a thing twolegs use to keep things in or out." Seedclaw of LichenClan added. "They usually have them in their gardens to keep their dogs inside the yard. However, fences like this are mostly to stop wild animals from getting into the twolegplace."

"Do they guard it?" Lilyclaw questioned.

Seedclaw shook his head. "Not usually no, most animals don't cross it. We should be fine." Falconpaw knew that Seedclaw used to be a kittypet, and he knew that Falconclaw wouldn't approve but right now, Falconpaw was glad they would have a kittypet to guide them in the twolegplace.

"Let's continue, then." Shadowstar mewed and the Clans continued on, leaving Clan territory. Once Falconpaw stepped outside of LichenClan territory he felt strange. We're going to a place that no Clan cat has gone before, depending on StarClan to guide us. Falconpaw recalled the owl that appeared at the gathering. Will we see that again?