Chapter 24

Warmth spread over Honeypaw, filling her heart with a strong sense of safety and hope. She opened her eyes, expecting to be in the new medicine cat den but she instead found herself in a beautiful garden. She looked around, surprised to see such beautiful, lush and vibrant flora. The flowers shimmered and in the center was a single flower in the shape of a star. Where am I? Honeypaw wondered, focusing harder on the garden.

She realized with a shock that she was in a cave, there was a circular opening above them. The full moon was above, shining brilliantly and providing light into the cave, making the flowers inside the garden glow. Honeypaw looked around, she felt a presence around her. She certainly wasn't alone in this cavern.

Honeypaw looked towards the entrance, she couldn't see the sky but she could hear the gentle bubbling of a river. She approached the entrance to the cave and realized that it led upwards. As Honeypaw climbed up the gentle sloping stone path until she could see the stars twinkling in the dark blue sky.

Finally, Honeypaw reached the top and looked around. She was high up on the mountain, there was a smooth stone path alongside the river leading down the mountain. At the top of the mountain Honeypaw could see the gathering place as well as each of the territories. "What is this?" Honeypaw whispered. Despite the warmth of the cave, the outside was still in full leaf-bare.

"This, Honeypaw," Honeypaw jumped, but soon recognized the sweet voice speaking behind her. She turned around and found herself looking into the bright green eyes of Honeywing. Excitement and joy flowed through Honeypaw's body, it had been so long since she had seen Honeywing! "Is the Spirit Garden."

"The Spirit Garden?" Honeypaw echoed. "What is that?"

Honeywing let out a soft, gentle chuckle. "The Spirit Garden is where the Clans will communicate with StarClan. The medicine cats will meet here every half-moon and the leaders will get their nine lives here."

Honeypaw looked around, she half-expected to see the other medicine cats showed up but she remained alone. "Are the other medicine cats having this dream as well?"

Honeywing shook her head. "No, Honeypaw, it's just you." Honeywing explained. "StarClan agreed that we wanted you to tell the Clans of this place. You will tell them at the first gathering tomorrow night. Then on the night of the half-moon all the medicine cats will come here for the first time."

"But," Honeypaw looked at her paws, feeling hesitant. "Why me?" She turned her gaze back up to Honeywing. "Why me? Why am I the one who has to tell the Clans?"

"Because, Honeypaw." Honeywing sat down, casting her starry gaze over the mountains, watching the territories closely. "You have a destiny and it is time that you start living it. You are a medicine cat and it is your job to pass on news like this. Your destiny could go many ways, Honeypaw. I've watched you grow ever since you were born and I knew you were destined for greatness. Watching you grow into a sweet, compassionate and intelligent young medicine cat has made me so incredibly happy. You really are your mother's daughter, and I know she's just as proud of you as I am."

Honeypaw was unsure of what to say, she stared at the stars. She knew nothing of destiny or what to do, she wasn't sure what exactly Honeypaw meant. She just wanted to live a normal life, but she did know that being a medicine cat would bring the job of spreading StarClan's message. "Thank you, Honeywing." She said quietly. "I will tell the Clans about this place, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do about destiny."

"Don't focus too hard on it." Honeywing assured her. "You just focus on being you and living your life as the best medicine cat you can be." Honeywing rested her muzzle on Honeypaw's head, Honeypaw felt warm and safe despite the bitter night air. "Now return to your Clanmates and spread the news of StarClan."