Extra 1

Garnet heard the sound of her front door closing. Her ears twitched and Garnet lifted her head up. Her housefolk must have left for the day. She was never quite sure where they went, but as long as they came back she didn't mind. Them being gone allowed Garnet time to herself and time to spend outside. She approached the window in her housefolk's kit's bedroom. She jumped onto the windowsill and pushed her way through the already broken mesh.

She breathed in the fresh summer air and looked around. The house next to hers was home to an elderly cat named Blue. He was blind but he was also Garnet's best friend. She jumped from the window to the tall elm tree in her yard. She climbed up the twisting branches and glanced into Blue's yard.

The tom was sunning himself in his favorite spot, the middle of his housefolk's garden in the direct line of sunbeams. "Good morning, Blue!" Garnet called and jumped down from the tree and into his yard.

"Good morning, Garnet." Blue responded, twitching his ears and keeping his eyes closed. "How was your night?"

"Same as usual." Garnet sat outside of the garden, washing her paws. "Ate some good food and slept."

Blue nodded. "I heard talk of a new kittypet in town." He explained. "He's just a little kit, the housefolk next to Juniper brought him home yesterday."

Garnet twitched her whiskers, she always enjoyed welcoming new kittypets into their small community, especially the kits. "I'll have to go welcome this new kit. Juniper is nice but she's just a kit herself."

"Just be careful." Blue yawned, resting his chin on his forepaws. "You know that dog over there hates cats."

"I'll be okay." Garnet purred, assuring the old blue tom. "I know how to handle dogs." She stood up and jumped up onto the fence. "I'll be back before my housefolk get home!" Garnet bid farewell to Blue and walked along the white fence. She could hear the sound of housefolk kits playing, dogs barking and birds chirping. It was such a lovely day but Garnet couldn't help but notice dark clouds creeping in on the clear blue sky.

She watched the clouds for just a moment, trying to judge if she would be caught in the rain or not. I'll be fine. Garnet told herself and continued her walk. She padded confidently through the town. She had been born here and spent every day of her life here, she knew it like the back of her paw.

Juniper's house was a small green house and beside it was a dark red house. Garnet assumed that they were the house that adopted the new kit because the blue house was the house with the aggressive and annoying dog.

Garnet sniffed the air, making sure that the terrible dog wasn't anywhere near her and quickly crossed it's yard to Juniper's yard. She spotted the small red-brown she-cat talking with a black tabby tom. "Garnet!" Juniper cried out when she spotted her. "Come here and meet the new kittypet!" Garnet jumped down into Juniper's yard and approached the two kittypets. The tom looked slightly skittish, but had wide and bright blue eyes. "Garnet, this Night. Night this is Garnet, she loves on the other side of town."

"Nice to meet you." Garnet dipped her head kindly to the young kittypet. "Welcome to our little town. Most of the cats are pretty nice around here. Harper has a bit of an attitude problem, but she's all hiss."

"Cool." Night squeaked. "Thank you. I was born in the next town over. I had two siblings but they went to two different homes. I was scared I wouldn't meet any nice cats around here, there was a nasty old tom who lived next to me."

"Well the cats around here are pretty kind." Garnet purred. "I live next to an old tom named Blue who is very kind, and there's another told tom who lives on the edge of town named Harvey, he's also incredibly kind."