Chapter 12

For the first time since the Clans had started their journey, everything seemed more hopeful. Nearly every sick cat had recovered from their sickness with the exception of Rainypelt who had passed away in her sleep the night they got to the barn. Ravenheart had said that her sickness had been too much for her to handle, even with the catmint. The loss of the MoonClan elder was sad, but they had been here a few days now and the cats were recovering. Sagekit was back playing with Hailkit and Stormheart right there to watch.

Much to Nightpaw's joy, Rabbitpaw was recovering. She still had a rattling cough but she was in better spirits, though she was still grieving the death of her brother. Nightpaw was just happy to see her up and walking around. The barn had provided warm shelter for the Clans and was crawling with mice. Most cats went to sleep satisfied, they weren't full but they weren't hungry and that was more than what they had been dealing with back in the forest.

Nightpaw had really enjoyed staying in this barn, and they hadn't seen any signs of the coyotes that Harvey had warned them about. They would patrol around the barn to check for any scents but no cat had found anything, only the faint scent of another cat, Nightpaw assumed it was just a rogue.

Every cat had found high hopes about this journey now that their sick were healing and they had a place to fill up their bellies and get some rest. However, most cats were eager to leave and Nightpaw knew they would be leaving in the next few days. They still had to find a new home, the four Clans couldn't live in this one barn together forever. We are still four Clans. Nightpaw reminded herself. Nightpaw had grown quite accustomed to hunting with the other Clans, she had even made a good friend in the MoonClan apprentice Rainpaw. She was energetic, smart and a great hunter.

Nightpaw's favorite cat to hunt with would always be Rabbitpaw, but while Rabbitpaw was sick it was nice to hunt with a nice cat like Rainpaw. Since they had been staying in one place, Wheatwhisker had continued training Nightpaw, as had many of the other mentors. Though they never strayed too far from the barn as Harvey had said not to. Nightpaw was curious about coyotes, but didn't want to get close enough to one to learn.

Nightpaw's ears perked up as she heard the sound of the hunting patrol returning. She looked towards the entrance of the barn to see the small patrol returning. They brought back a small amount of prey, but the rest of the cats had caught a lot of mice in the barn so they still had a decently sized fresh-kill pile.

Nightpaw searched for Rabbitpaw, spotting the small apprentice talking with Blackpaw. Nightpaw quickly padded over to the fresh-kill pile, picking up three mice to share with Rabbitpaw and Blackpaw then joined the two cats. "Hungry?" She questioned, setting down the mice in front of them.

"I am, thank you." Blackpaw dipped his head and pulled his mouse towards him. Rabbitpaw looked uncertain for a moment, but gave a tiny nod and took a small bite of her mouse. Nightpaw sat down beside her, concern filling her heart. She was still torn apart over Timberpaw, Nightpaw wished she could do something to help but she couldn't bring back the dead. She could only help Rabbitpaw with her grieving process.

"How are all the sick cats doing?" Nightpaw questioned her brother, wanting to start a conversation instead of sitting in silence.

"There's not really anymore "sick" cats." Blackpaw replied. "Only a few with some lingering coughs like Rabbitpaw. Snakewhisker and Harewhisker still have a small cough as well, but that will go away in time. They're not in any danger."

"That's great to hear." Nightpaw purred. "We should be continuing the journey here soon, right?"

Blackpaw nodded. "Skyfeather and the other medicine cats want to leave in two days, we need to get moving." Nightpaw nodded along, turning to look at Rabbitpaw. She wasn't invested in this conversation, her green eyes were lost in thought.