IV

It took no more than a single moment for a doctor, as well as the king to come rushing into the dungeon. Jimin still felt resentment towards their previous encounter, but seeing his father run so hard despite his sickness, did make him feel guilty for his stated urgency of the matter.

"What is the matter my lord?" The doctor asked as he swiftly took hold of the prince's forearm. "Are you injured?"

Jimin cleared his throat. Their worry of him was most certainly exaggerated. However it was easing to know how quick they could be if he ever encountered a more immediate emergency.

"No, please." He carefully shook the doctor's hand away from his own, smiling slightly to the two men, not knowing how well it came across in the deep darkness of the room.

"I am fine." He reassured them. "I called you because one of the prisoners is sick. He has a high fever father and if he does not get treated soon...."

"Why son?" His father interrupted angrily.

"Why must you care so much for someone who is a mere prisoner? A thief nonetheless." His father's tone of tight fury made it abundantly clear that this was not a topic he was willing to discuss at the moment. It was highly unfortunate for him that the crown prince was more than prepared to challenge his authority on this matter. He cared for his father, however the man had been maddeningly stubborn lately and though he would often give in to the overwhelming stubbornness of the king, he could not do that today. This was not an exchange he could afford to lose. There was a life at stake. A life he deemed to be worth much more than time it would take to vouch for it. Despite being a future king, Jimin didn't accept sacrificial offerings to be made in his regard. Even if it was that of a mere prisoner.

"He is a good man, father. Something you would know if you had ever given yourself the chance to get acquainted with all the people you send to their death or suffering in this dungeon."

His father scoffed, an angry frown on his face. "I do not have the time to care for those who commit crime when I have a whole kingdom of constitutional citizens who need me." He stated, voice clearly getting angrier as the conversation dragged out.

"He did commit a crime, father, but he is kind. Even you have not deemed his crimes worthy of a death penalty. Are you really going to let him die despite it?" The prince wanted this interaction to conclude quickly in his favor. Namjoon was not well enough for them to have their long, customary disagreements. Their hourless bickering was not an infrequent occurrence in the castle. Yet the situation occurring, was not one which had the time for this scenario to unfold.

"Had he been in his own home now and not here, he would still be just as exposed to passing to this sickness as he is now. We do not have an abundance of tools and resources. There is not enough for us to care for all prisoners whom happen to get sick while imprisoned."

"I am not asking for all prisoners...." Jimin started, his own voice reflected the same finality as his father's. He wasn't losing Namjoon's life to this fight. "Just one." He understood the unfairness in his words, but the desperation was loud in his head and very willing to be unjust to get its way.

"I do not care about the quantity son. One prisoner is still one too many."

The prince was fuming. How dare he! How dare his father sacrifice a life when he had the chance to save it.

"He is one of your land's citizens. Is his life not of more significance to you?" He asked his father, eyes going as dark as the dim dungeon surrounding them.

"No." The coldness of the word that left the king's lips was so intense it felt like a cold gust of wind consumed their frames.

"Humans die everyday for reasons I cannot control. I do not interfere with the decision made by fate and neither should you."