Chapter Two

Johnny's wasn't too busy for a Tuesday night. About half the restaurant had full tables. We found a table in the corner by a window that gave us a little privacy. He pulled out my chair for me and helped me slide it back in. I was impressed all over again. I hadn't expected him to be so thoughtful in that way.

The waitress came over and I didn't recognize her. She told us her name was Lucy and asked for our drink orders. I could tell she was nervous and gave her a warm smile. She was in good company. I was nervous too. We ordered our drinks and then we were staring at each other awkwardly.

Craig drummed his fingers on the table while I wiped at an invisible spot on the sleeve of my dress.

"So," he started. "What don't I know about you?"

My eyes widened at his question. "That's a loaded question."

"Okay, tell me one thing."

"Well, what do you know about me already?"

He looked thoughtful for a minute. "I know you like school and you're good at it. I think you're in the photography club?" He looked at me and I nodded. "And I think Rachel said you volunteer at something?"

"I volunteer at the hospital in the children's cancer ward."

He looked surprised. "Wow, that's heavy."

"Actually, it's amazing. It's my favorite thing to do in my week." I rolled my napkin back and forth. I knew I was fidgeting but I couldn't help myself.

He smiled. "That's nice."

Lucy came back with our drinks and set them on the table in front of us, getting the order wrong. I subtly switched them without saying a thing, but Craig made a face at her.

"Can we get some straws?" he demanded curtly. I looked at him in surprise.

"Oh, right! Sorry about that!" Lucy nodded and hurried away to get them.

I stared at Craig. "That was kinda rude," I said as I lifted my menu.

"What?" He didn't know what I was talking about. I could tell by the look on his face.

"You were rude to Lucy just now," I pointed out.

"Who?"

I rolled my eyes. "Our waitress," I said.

He truly looked lost. "What did I do?"

"Please and thank you go a long way," I said. He was about to answer me, but I held up my hand as I saw Lucy returning to our table with the straws.

"Here you go," she said kindly. "Sorry about that. I'm still learning the ropes here. It's my second day," she added, smiling nervously.

"You're doing great. We've all been there," I said, trying to encourage her.

"Thank you," Craig said to Lucy after I shot him a look.

She flashed him a smile. "You're welcome," she said before she turned to attend to another table.

Craig looked at me and raised his eyebrows. "Better?"

I shook my head in disbelief. Was he really such a caveman? How did he lack the basic manners but know enough to pull out my chair and hold my car door for me? "I'm sure your mother taught you manners."

"She tried," he said with a grin.

#

Lucy came and took our dinner orders and I was hopeful that Craig would be a little kinder with her, but he wasn't. It was like he didn't realize he was a different person with her, unkind and devoid of feeling when he spoke to her. He treated her like she was his indentured servant. I couldn't quite believe it. Who does that?