Chapter Five

Rachel called me first thing the next morning and I grimaced when I saw her number on my phone. I wondered if she'd talked to Craig. Surely, she had. But, after we'd said our pleasantries, I realized she didn't know anything.

"So," she asked, "how was your date with my brother? I've been dying to know!"

I sighed. "You didn't talk to him when he came home?"

"No, why?"

"Welllll, it wasn't so good. I might have kneed him in the groin at the end of our date."

"What?" she shrieked. "Oh, you have to tell me everything!"

I laughed because she didn't sound angry at all. She sounded intrigued. "I had no idea he could be so rude," I said.

"Yeah, he definitely needs a little help in that department. It's not for a lack of trying on my mom's part. I think he just doesn't even comprehend his attitude sometimes," she explained. "I've been on him about it too."

"He punched Tommy Walker in the face because he asked me for some help with a math question."

"What?" Rachel shouted. I pulled the phone away from my ear for a minute.

"Yeah, so that was kind of the end of our date for me." I sighed. "But then he kissed me."

"What?" she shouted again. "He kissed you?"

"Yes."

There was a long pause. "How was it?" she asked finally.

I paused for a moment. "It was good," I sighed. "But now I'm confused! What am I supposed to do? He punched Tommy in the face! On our first date! Who does that?"

"My brother," Rachel said sarcastically. "But seriously, is there any part of you that still wants to give him a chance?"

I thought for a moment, even though I already knew the answer. "Yes."

"Then don't you think you owe it to yourself, and to him, to try again and see what comes of it?"

"I don't know if that's possible," I said with a laugh. "We might end up killing each other."

"Passion is good," she teased. Rachel is always the optimist.

"Not that much passion!" I said back.

We were both quiet for a few minutes and then she said, "You'd be so good for my brother."

"Maybe."

And that was the end of the conversation over Craig. We switched our conversation to our plans for the week and when we were getting together. We were both busy with our lives, she with her boyfriend, Cade, and me with the things I was involved with. And maybe Craig. I still hadn't decided. He really needed to apologize before I'd really be able to consider anything else with him.

#

I glanced down at my watch to see that I was right on time. Ten o'clock on the dot. I straightened my light pink hospital uniform before entering her room. I always saw her first.

Her.

Jessica Jones. Jessie. The cutest little nine year old there ever was. The only thing not cute about her was the leukaemia raging within her cancer-battered body.

I've known Jessie ever since she first came into the hospital for treatment two months ago. Before that actually. This isn't her first hit of cancer. She battled it back when she was only six years old and beat it...for a spell. I was there with her then, and I'll be with her now. But this time it isn't looking so good. Her body is tired. Worn out from the fight. Her spirit, on the other hand, thrives, and it's what I love most about her. Watching her fight for her life makes me want to do the same for mine. She's a warrior trapped in a little body.