Chapter Three

"Craig, what are you doing!" I yelled, jumping up from my seat. Craig just stood there, staring down at Tommy like he wasn't finished with him yet. "Craig!" I shouted again, grabbing his arm and pulling hard. "What is wrong with you?

He blinked and looked at me. "He was sitting in my seat and making moves on you," he said calmly.

I was shocked at his response and rolled my eyes before rushing to Tommy's side. Lucy hurried over with some ice in a plastic bag and extra napkins. I held the ice to Tommy's lip. The poor guy was dazed.

"I'm so sorry, Tommy. I don't know what he was thinking hitting you," I said.

Tommy slowly pushed himself up from the booth and stood straight, taking the ice bag from me and holding it to his lip. "It's okay, I'll see you in math class," he said quietly as he stumbled back to his booth. His friends were staring at us in disbelief. Could I be any more humiliated?

I whirled around and glared at Craig.

"What is your problem" I hissed. "You hit him?"

"He was totally hitting on you!" he said back, his voice getting louder.

"No, he wasn't. He was asking me for help on a math problem. We have a test on Monday."

"Lara, he was hitting on you," he said again, looking at me as if I was some young, naïve girl who didn't know better.

"No, he's my friend and we help each other in math class. You totally overreacted." He didn't say anything back. "This was such a huge mistake," I said, throwing my hands up in the air. "What was I thinking?" I grabbed my purse and sweater and started to walk out of the restaurant. "Don't forget to pay the bill," I called over my shoulder before walking out the door.

"Lara!" he called after me, but I ignored him.

I felt like such an idiot. All my hopes for this date were spiralling downwards into a muddled, disappointing heap.

I walked quickly down the street, looking over my shoulder. I didn't want him to come after me. I didn't want to talk to him. I was so angry. And frustrated. And disappointed.

How had I read him so wrong? How had I fallen for a guy like that? Hadn't I seen something in him that had made me notice him? Or was I just drawn to his physical attributes. They were definitely enough to draw me in. He was a looker. Ask any girl at school and they would describe Craig Morgan as a total hottie.

But I was sure he was more than that. I'd seen him be kind and loving with his family, especially with Rachel, my best friend and his twin sister. And yet, I'd just watched him punch out my friend in a jealous rage because he'd sat in his seat to talk to me.

I growled in frustration. How had this night gone so badly? I'd been so excited for this.

I heard his car speeding down the street towards me, squealing to a stop just behind me. I kept walking.

"Lara!" His car door slammed shut.

I ignored him and walked faster.

"Lara, stop!"

"No, I'm going home," I shouted over my shoulder.

He grabbed my arm and spun me around to face him. "Why'd you just leave like that?"

"Seriously?" I cried, staring at him like he was crazy. "You just punched my friend in the face! I have nothing to say to you." I pulled my arm from his grasp. "Leave me alone!"

"Lara, I'm not letting you walk home alone. Get in the car. I'll drive you home."

"Ha! No!" I shouted as I started walking again.

"Lara, get in the car!" He was following me.

"No!"

I heard him sigh in frustration. "Please," he said, his voice softer. "We don't have to talk. Just let me get you home safe."

I halted at that, my head dropping forward. At least he wanted to see me safely home. That had to count for something, right? And we were quite far from our neighbourhood. Walking home would take a long time. "Fine, but don't talk to me. I'm done talking to you," I said with a waggle of my hand.

"Fine."

He followed me back to his car. I opened the door myself before he could do it for me, but he closed it for me. He stood outside my car door staring at me before finally walking around and climbing into his seat. I put my seatbelt on and he did the same, starting up the engine.

We drove in silence which was fine with me. I was so angry, I didn't even know what I could say that hadn't already been said. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to stop myself if I started yelling at him. Better to just keep my mouth shut.

We'd tried this dating thing and clearly it wasn't working. I just had to accept that, as disappointing as that was.

"I'm sorry," he said softly, his eyes staying on the road. His hands held the wheel in a tight grip. "I don't know why I hit him. I mean, I know why, but it happened so fast, I couldn't stop myself." He sighed, and I could see that he was upset with himself. "When I came out of the bathroom and saw him sitting there with you, your heads so close together, I don't know...I just lost it. I freaked."

"Yeah, you sure did!" I said back. I wasn't ready to forgive him. I had to face Tommy in math class on Monday. He didn't. I had to try and explain why my 'date' punched him in the face...for basically no reason. Totally unacceptable! He wasn't getting off that easy.

"Lara, I'm sorry—"

"No, I don't want to hear it. Please just stop talking." I folded my arms across my chest, signalling that I was done with this conversation. He took the hint and didn't say another word.

Author's Note: Oh Craig...what have you done. 🤭. There is so much more to come with this story. I was working on a few chapters last night and I was bawling. So fun when the characters take over the story! Stay tuned and don't forget to vote! Thank you!!