Chapter Seven

I was a ball of nerves by Friday afternoon. Rachel was at my house, helping me get ready and giving me moral support. Tonight was a surprise. I had no idea what we were doing but it would be different than our last date. Craig assured me of that and Rachel confirmed it.

"Cade and I are going to meet up with you guys a little later." Knowing this made me feel a whole lot better.

"He's going to behave himself, right?" I asked.

She nodded with a laugh. "Absolutely. I threatened that I'd kill him if he didn't."

"Okay." I took a deep, steadying breath. "Can I just say that I really like your brother and I really hope he doesn't mess this up tonight," I admitted with a sheepish grin.

Rachel laughed. "It'll be good. You'll see."

#

I heard his knock at my front door at six o'clock on the dot, which shouldn't be hard for him considering he lives right next door. But I was still impressed.

I opened the door and was greeted with his wide smile and a beautiful bouquet of pink roses.

"Thank you," I whispered as I took them and lifted them to my nose. They smelled so sweet. I love roses. Rachel must have told him.

"You're welcome." His gaze moved down the length of me, taking in my sandals, jean shorts and black floral blouse. He had told me to dress down and be comfortable. "You look really nice," he said.

"Thanks. You too," I replied. And he did in his fitted black tee-shirt with a logo I didn't recognize, green khaki shorts, and white tennis shoes.

"You ready to go?"

"Let me just put these in water." I held the door open for him and hurried down the hall to the kitchen, quickly setting the roses in a vase with some water. I set the vase in the middle of the kitchen table, pausing to enjoy the sight of them for just a second.

"Okay, I'm ready," I said, grabbing my purse and yelling to my dad that we were leaving. He yelled back from the kitchen for us to have a good time.

Craig took my hand in his as he led me down the walk to the drive way. And that's where I halted in my tracks.

His motorbike was parked in the middle of my driveway. Two black helmets balanced on the seat, reflecting the sun on their shiny surface. There was a wicker picnic basket with a folded blanket underneath it strapped to the back metal rack. I may have been slightly impressed when I saw the picnic basket. But then I wondered what he'd put in it. Who knew with Craig. I didn't get my hopes up too much.

"What's that?" I asked pointedly at the bike.

"I got my bike ready in time so I thought we could take her for a test ride together. I've already tested her out so she's ready to go."

I shook my head. "No way. I'm not getting on that death trap."

He laughed, thinking I was kidding. I wasn't.

"Oh, you're serious?" he said when I failed to join him in laughter.

"Deadly," I replied, still staring at the bike in total disdain.

He squeezed my hand in his and dipped his head low to catch my eyes with his. "Trust me?"

"No."

He laughed again. "Come on, I promise it's totally safe. I'll follow every law and do the exact speed limit." He criss-crossed his heart with his finger.

"No."

"Okay, how about we just go around the block and then if you still hate it, we'll take my jeep. Deal?"