Chapter Four

As soon as we pulled into his driveway, I jumped out of the jeep and started walking for home as fast as I could. I just wanted to get away from him...before I killed him with my bare hands. He was the most aggravating guy I'd ever met! I don't know how his neck supported that ginormous head of his.

But he was quick to follow me. "Lara! Wait up!" he called, coming after me.

No matter how fast I walked, he kept time with me, his steps matching my steps. It was infuriating!

I didn't speak to him again until we reached the fence between our houses.

I whirled around to yell at him and found him standing an inch away from me, his eyes on me. They were ice blue and piercing, and I loved the attention from them more than I should have in that moment. I swallowed, taking a step back to make space. I needed space. Whenever he was close, my judgement was clouded. How did he have such an effect on me?

He was staring at my lips now and I was having trouble concentrating. I watched him looking at me and wondered what he was thinking. What did he see when he looked at me like that?

Focus, Lara!

I took in a deep breath and let him have it. "I don't know what I saw in you all those years! You're one of the rudest people I know! And to think I believed I was in love with you! Ha! I'm a total idiot!" I shouted at him. I felt disillusioned. I'd told myself I was in love with Craig for such a long time and now to see him like this was heartbreaking...literally.

He was staring at me with wide eyes. He looked shocked, completely shocked at what I'd said. What part was he shocked at? The intensity of my anger at him or the fact that I thought myself in love with him? Maybe both?

I thought I knew him, but I was fast realizing that I didn't. Not really. Sure, I knew the basics about him, but I didn't know him. What surprised me most was the realization that there was a part of me that still wanted to...even after everything that had happened tonight.

He took a step closer to me and I held up my hand to stop him. "Don't even bother taking another step closer or I'll deck you. I swear I will," I threatened. He grinned and lifted his foot in a dare. "I'm serious. I'm trained in the martial arts. I can drop you in a second." I know it seems ludicrous to say such things to the captain of the football team, and to a guy of his stature and size (which is huge), but small can be powerful too and I knew my capabilities.

He tilted his head to the side ever so slightly, his eyes narrowing on me. He was looking at me like I fascinated him. We both stood frozen for a few minutes, sizing each other up.

Why did he have to be so good looking? This would have been so much easier if he wasn't. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get over his perfectly handsome face. His blue eyes framed in long, dark lashes, strong nose, full lips that rarely smiled, squared chin and overall strength took me over every time I looked at him. And with the way he was staring at me now, with those smouldering eyes of his, it was breaking down my resolve to not reach out, pull him to me, and kiss him. But then what?

"How did I never really notice you all these years?" he whispered as he took another step towards me. My eyes widened at his step. Hadn't I just threatened him? Did he not get the memo?

I went into my fighter stance to remind him of my promise to drop him if he came closer.

The grin on those amazing lips of his got bigger.

It happened so fast I had no time to use any of my karate chop ninja moves on him. He grabbed me and pulled me against him, his arms coming around me to hold me tight. I couldn't do a thing except stare up at him in complete surprise.