Prologue: The Beginning

PROLOGUE

A loud pained yowl echoed the clearing and I jolted out of my dreams, my eyes snapping open. My heart was racing as I paused in my nest, my ears pricked.

My eyes adjusted to the darkness and I stared at the wall in front of me as I waited for another yowl to alert me.

"Mothflower, come quick!" Cherryheart's terrified yowl instantly made me spring out of my nest and I raced into the front part of my den. What could be going on?

Grabbing some Chervil Root, Ragwort Leaves, Raspberry Leaves, and a stick I raced out of my den and into the dark camp. It unsettled me for a heartbeat as I let my eyes adjust. The moon was only a claw scratch in the sky, but it was sinking slowly. I could hear the mumble of the warriors in their dens as they woke.

The air was cold against my pelt as I raced across the clearing and slipped into the nursery. The yowls and pained moans were louder here.

"What happened?" I asked quickly, setting my herbs down and gazing at the two she-cats that were moaning in pain.

Cherryheart's voice squeaked as she spoke., "They're both kitting!"

I felt my heart skip a beat and I turned to the only queen who wasn't kitting. "Fetch Dawnpool at once. She must help me!"

When the queen slipped out I looked at the two with panic, I set my paw on Flowerwhisker's stomach. I could tell she was ready to push. I turned to Whitefoot next and set my paw on her stomach too. They were both ready.

"Push, both of you!" I commanded and both of them let out a yowl, their faces lit up in terror. I shoved a stick into both of their mouths.

Dawnpool entered the nursery and looked at the two with a concerned face. "Oh dear StarClan," she moaned and raced over to us. "Push harder!" Although Dawnpool was a warrior now, she remembered her medicine cat training well.

I watched a kit slip out of Flowerwhisker and I nipped the sac until it broke. I licked him gently to keep him warm.

He was a ginger-and-white tom and as soon as he was free he bravely went to suckle. I could see a kit from Whitefoot but Dawnpool was already assisting her so I focused on Flowerwhisker.

Another kit slipped out and I quickly nipped the sac and a gray tabby tom struggled to crawl to his mother's milk, his eyes closed just like his brother's.

The last one came out with ease. I could hear the stick breaking in Flowerwhisker's mouth. She was a beautiful white she-kit. When she was out of the sac the kit quickly crawled to Flowerwhisker. I'd never saw a kit so brave. She began to suckle with her brothers.

"Mothflower, look..." Dawnpool flicked her tail at two lifeless bodies. Both of them were white toms, and both of them were dead. Their throats had been cut open. The last kit was a huge black tom. He was suckling already, safe and sound.

Whitefoot glanced down and let out a horrified screech. "He killed them!" she gasped in terror. "Why?"

My tail flicked unknowingly. "He's a kit, he couldn't have known. Maybe they were taking up too much room. Love him for what he is now."

"Soulkit is his name," she purred softly, her tail wrapping around the large black tom-kit.

Flowerwhisker looked at her kits and purred loudly, "Icekit." She flicked her tail at the white she-kit. "Jaykit." She flicked her tail at the gray tabby. "And Wildkit." She looked down proudly at her kits.

I felt a tinge of jealousy. I had wanted to have kits one day, but I knew as a medicine cat, it could never happen.

I smiled and pawed them each a little bit of Borage Leaves. "Eat them," I commanded and slipped out of the den. Firelily was sending out a border patrol. She really was a brilliant deputy. Although she was young, Russetstar was right in choosing her.

I spotted the brown tabby tom outside his den. He was gazing at her proudly. It was no secret that after Russetstar's mate died while kitting he'd fallen for the beautiful fiery-red she-cat. But it was clear her destiny was not with him.

I padded over to my leader and sat beside him. "Six kits in total, but two of Whitefoot's died," I explained with a twitched of my tail. "Both of the queens are fine," I reassured him.

He nodded and then sighed, obviously relieved. "Good, good. Have they received names? I should visit the queens soon."

"Soulkit, Wildkit, Jaykit, and Icekit," I purred softly. "Cherryheart is due in at least a moon. We will have plenty of kits. We might have to expand the warrior's den again."

Russetstar smiled. "We're blessed with kits this Leafbare. Newleaf is approaching fast." He looked over at me with calm dark green eyes. His worry had faded. "Although Cherryheart might decide to retire after her kits are apprenticed," he stated, looking at the nursery. "She and Littlecloud are getting older."

I nodded in agreement. Littlecloud and Dawnpool had been best friends since they were apprentices, she wouldn't be too happy to hear that.

I padded away from Russetstar, not wanting to talk any longer, I slipped into the medicine den and put the herbs I'd grabbed away. I glanced around I realized it was rather empty in here, not that I wanted a hurt or sick cat. Hopefully I could get an apprentice soon.

"M-Mothflower?" I heard Graypaw enter, and I turned around to face him. One of Russetstar's kits. "Are the kits alright?" He'd obviously remembered his sister, Spiritkit, who died with his mother Moonfall.

My head spun, debating on whether or not to tell him about the deaths of the two kits. "Two died," I admitted, "but the others are strong and healthy, they'll be alright." I smiled down at him and then turned around, feeling his stare boring into my back, but soon he left the den, leaving me alone once again.

Dawnpool's scent filled my nose. "They queens and kits are settled in. I think Cherryheart is a little shaken up from the pain they were in. We might have to give her a Poppy Seed for the pain and panic."

I shook my head, looking at my former mentor. Dawnpool changed her path after she had came back to life. She chose to be a warrior.

"Yes, well, thank you for the tip. I'll be sure to bring one when she kits," I replied with irritation in my voice.

She dipped her head. "I apologize, Mothflower. I know I am merely just a warrior." She looked around the den longingly. "I think there is something wrong with Jaykit," Dawnpool told me suddenly.

I tilted my head curiously. "What do you mean?"

"I'm not sure, but just keep your eye on him, okay?" Dawnpool turned away towards the entrance. "In fact, we should keep our eyes on all the kits. The Three could be anywhere." Then she slipped out of the den.

My heart pounded and I kneaded my paws into the ground nervously. Honestly, the Three had slipped my mind. Could one of those small helpless kits in there be apart of that?