Chapter Six: Gossip

CHAPTER 6

Pawsteps thudded against the ground all around me. The night air was crisp but only a little colder than usual. The moon was full above us, lighting the way easily.

Russetstar and Firelily led Mothflower, Jaypaw, Littlecloud, Whitefang, Wildpaw, Shadeclaw, Sweetheart, Soulpaw, Flowerwhisker, and myself towards Fourtrees, not pausing for even a heartbeat.

Jaypaw was to my left and Soulpaw was to my right. I was guiding Jaypaw, despite his wishes. He still wasn't familiar with the territory. Littlecloud was in front of us with Sweetheart. No one was saying a word, not even as we approached Fourtrees.

We stopped at the top of the hill that led down into Fourtrees, Russetstar gazing down at ThunderClan and RiverClan with glowing eyes. Then he nodded and we flooded into the clearing.

Now only Soulpaw was at my side and Jaypaw was following Mothflower towards the other medicine cats that gathered to the right beside the Greatrock.

Speaking of, the Greatrock was just as great as I'd imagined. It was more like a boulder than a rock by the way it lumbered over me. The four trees in the clearing reached tall in the sky, clearly representing the four Clans.

I did notice ThunderClan and RiverClan glaring at us and keeping their distance as well. Tonight was the fight. Dread scraped my stomach. Russetstar had ordered Cinderleaf to gather warriors to back us up after the Gathering.

Finally ShadowClan raced in, Larkstar and Brackenfoot in the lead. She made a huge leap onto the Greatrock and looked over at the other leaders.

"This Gathering will begin now!" Russetstar yowled and everyone fell silent instantly.

Crookedstar stepped forward eagerly. "Despite the border skirmish WindClan started, RiverClan is strong and healthy. Shimmerpelt's kits will be born soon and that's all I have to report." He stepped back.

Larkstar stepped forward. She was young and I could see her muscles rippling under her pelt. She seemed like a confident leader. "As most of you know, Pikestar and Crowtail have joined StarClan. StarClan showed Stonetail a sign about me and I have become leader of ShadowClan with Brackenfoot as my deputy. I know this probably comes as a surprise to most of you but it is StarClan's wishes and I plan to lead ShadowClan with a level and just head," she told us, her dark green eyes shining. "Thank you." Then she stepped back.

Russetstar stepped forward, glancing back at Larkstar. "Welcome Larkstar. WindClan has two new warriors, Morningtail and Grayclaw. We have four new apprentices, Soulpaw, Jaypaw, Wildpaw, and Icepaw. Jaypaw has taken the role of a medicine cat. Cherryheart has had Shadeclaw's kits and Dawnpool has moved to the nursery expecting Whitefang's kits. Finally, Shadeclaw has decided to retire from his warrior duties, so as of tomorrow he will be an elder."

There were some yowls and cheers from the other Clans and I felt my pelt heat up as I heard my name called.

Thrushstar stepped forward. "As you all know Cinderpaw has taken the role of a medicine cat and Swiftbreeze has had two healthy kits who will be apprenticed shortly. ThunderClan is strong and we guard our own." He glanced over at Russetstar. "ThunderClan let's go!" he yowled and launched himself off the Greatrock and gathered his Clan while Larkstar gathered ShadowClan.

Soulpaw brushed his pelt against mine gently. "Don't worry about the fight. We can do this! Remember DarkClan?" He was gazing at her warmly, his familiar green and gold eyes meeting mine.

"You're right!" I purred in agreement. We had absolutely destroyed the rogues at DarkClan's camp just a few moons earlier.

"Russetstar!" Crookedstar mewed and brown tabby tom turned his head to gaze at the RiverClan leader. "Are you sure you want to do this? If you just admit you were in the wrong and we won't have to fight."