Chapter Ten: Rats

CHAPTER 10

I stared at Mistkit and Featherkit who were playing with a moss ball outside the nursery while Dawnpool and Whitefang watched. Although the two she-kits looked exactly alike, Dawnpool could tell them apart it seemed. I couldn't.

When they opened their eyes we were greeted with two very similar leafy green eyes. Not one difference between them. It was uncanny.

"Icepaw?" a voice asked beside me causing me to almost jump out of my fur. "Are you okay?"

I looked over at Soulpaw and smiled a little. "Yes, sorry. I was just looking over at Dawnpool's kits. They look exactly alike. It's weird, right?"

"Will you focus?" Jaypaw growled, causing me to turn my head and look at him. "We know that someone is going to take over our camp, will you help me figure this out? It's been almost a half a moon!"

Soulpaw let out a small sigh. "Sorry, Jaypaw. What were you saying?"

About a half moon ago Jaypaw came back from the medicine cat meeting with information about our prophecy. We had found the Three, now we just needed to figure out what our prophecy was about other than The Dark Forest.

He glared at us with his creepy blind green eyes. "Could it be ShadowClan? Is that why they've been so quiet?"

I tilted my head at him. "Why would Larkstar do that? Her father lives here."

"Maybe because she needs to prove her loyalty to ShadowClan," Jaypaw responded instantly. "You know how ShadowClan cats are: untrusting and aggressive. She'll need to prove herself."

I clawed at the ground, my mind racing. "I'm not sure I agree but it is weird we haven't heard from ShadowClan in almost a moon."

Soulpaw nodded in agreement. "Icepaw, let's try to get on plenty of patrols near the ShadowClan border so we can keep an eye on them," he told me and looked over at Jaypaw. "Maybe you should look for herbs in that area often."

My brother nodded in agreement. "I have to get going but we'll talk later. Let me know if you get anymore information," he ordered and then hurried away to the medicine den.

"What're you doing today?" Soulpaw asked me.

"Oh, I am patrolling the ShadowClan border," I purred and padded away from Soulpaw happily.

Blackfoot, Gorsepaw, and Littlecloud were waiting at the entrance. My heart sunk in my chest as I noticed Blackfoot was coming with us. Why would Littlecloud do this?

"Now we can go," Littlecloud mewed cheerfully and padded out of camp with e rushing to his side. Blackfoot and Gorsepaw padded behind us quietly. "Hello, Gorsepaw. Glad you could make it."

I shot him a glare. "You invited Blackfoot?" I whispered so he couldn't hear.

Littlecloud looked down at me, the darkness in his eyes made my entire body shake. "This is ridiculous, Icepaw. He is a warrior and soon you will be too. We can't have you fighting the entire time. You're both WindClan cats and you need to trust each other, especially in battle. Speak with him." Littlecloud turned his head and looked at Gorsepaw. "Hey Gorsepaw, why don't you come with me?"

The little apprentice rushed up to Littlecloud and took my spot. I awkwardly fell in step beside Blackfoot.

"So listen..." I mewed very awkwardly as we padded towards the ShadowClan border. "I'm really sorry about what I said before. I didn't mean it, I mean you're my Clanmate and I trust you so..." I trailed off. It was too awkward.

Blackfoot turned his head and looked down at me. His green eyes were even creepier than Jaypaw's. "We both know you are not actually apologizing, Icepaw," he mewed in a very deep and creepy voice. My fur was prickling in unease. "Soulpaw has now received a mentor whose name is not Sweetheart and you have gotten closer to him because of your mistake. You are only upset because finally someone does not like you."