Chapter Seven: Liars

CHAPTER 7

For once I actually felt cheerful as we padded through the Steppe, completely silent. Silence. Sweetheart would've scared away all the prey with her non stop talking. But Mousefang was quiet and collected, I liked it.

"Sweetheart filled me in on how far you are into your training. You are much farther ahead than your denmates. I'm impressed," Mousefang purred to me, his eyes shining in pride. "I'm surprised Sweetheart gave you to me."

"She just had some problems with Blackfoot, nothing to do with me. But thank you, Mousefang," I mewed firmly. Although Mousefang had been hanging around Icepaw, he was a brilliant warrior. I didn't like that he hung around my friend so much, but now he was my mentor so I had to let it go and focus.

Mousefang nodded at me. "We're just going to take a look at the ShadowClan border. It's almost been half a moon since we've heard anything from them. Firelily and Russetstar are worried. Shouldn't take too long."

I nodded at my new mentor and we continued on. It was odd that ShadowClan had been silent for so long. It was unlike them. Then again, now they had a rogue as their leader. And I had a rogue as my father.

"How long is Buddy staying?"

The warrior looked down at me. "Until Russetstar can assess him properly. He may join WindClan. He claims to love Whitefoot, but don't think I haven't noticed you and the other apprentices seem to be avoiding him."

"I didn't tell them to do anything. We're all ashamed of the poor choices our parents have made," I responded as we reached the ShadowClan border. The ShadowClan scent was so faint that the WindClan scent was the only scent you could smell now.

"I hope they're okay," Mousefang mewed with concern and then marked the border quickly. "Mothflower will tell us after the medicine cat meeting if we haven't heard from them yet."

I silently disagreed. ShadowClan was one of the most evil Clans, and although for a while we had an allegiance with them, now it was definitely gone. Or at least, I didn't want an allegiance with them anymore.

"We should check on the rogue border too. That was StrikeClan's old border," Mousefang told me as he sniffed the air, tilting his head. "It just doesn't make any sense why they aren't even marking the border."

Sweetheart had already shown and told me about StrikeClan's old border, and I had already met the StrikeClan cats.

"To the other border then?" I asked, eager to get back to camp. Littlecloud had been punishing Icepaw since Blackfoot had overheard her. Not a lot of things but less patrols and more cleaning duties.

He nodded and led the way towards the other border and away from ShadowClan's.

"I noticed Littlecloud has been punishing Icepaw lately," Mousefang commented as we made our way past the Steppe. "What's that about?"

My paws itched in irritation. "Look, Mousefang, you're my mentor and Icepaw is my friend and denmate, I'm sure if she wanted you to know, you would," I snapped.

"You're my apprentice, Soulpaw, you're supposed to listen and obey. When I ask I expect you to answer, not give me attitude," Mousefang retorted, flicking his tail. "Come on, let's get this over with."

I followed after him with my tail lashing, angrily glaring at him as we went.

***

We padded into camp and I instantly veered away from Mousefang over to where Icepaw was carrying moss to the apprentice's den.

She smiled warmly as I approached her. "Hi, Soulpaw!"