Chapter Eleven: The Dark Forest

CHAPTER 11

I gazed warmly at the beautiful white she-cat has her fluffy white coat bounced. The sunlight shone down on her warmly and her green eyes flashed in excitement. She was small for our age but her legs were long and she was definitely a WindClan cat.

"Soulpaw? Soulpaw!" A heavy nudge caused me to stumble but I caught my balance and looked over at Mousefang. I was getting to his size. "Are you listening?"

My eyes flickered over to Icepaw as she led the way next to Littlecloud. I nodded. "Of course I am. There is nothing more important than my warrior training," I told my mentor firmly. That was true, my warrior training was one of the most important things to me. One of the most important things.

"That's what I like to hear," he purred happily. "With the way your training is going, you'll be a warrior soon. Oh, and you're going to the Gathering tonight."

My heart leapt into my throat in excitement. A warrior soon and the Gathering? "Is Russetstar going to tell RiverClan and ThunderClan about The Dark Forest?" I asked eagerly

"Yes," Littlecloud answered, now stopped right in front of us. Icepaw was smiling at us. "Icepaw, we'll be going to the Gathering as well."

"Let's start marking the border, shall we?" Mousefang suggested and started marking the RiverClan border.

I stared into the bushes on the other side of the river. "RiverClan patrol!" I hissed over to Mousefang, their scent hitting my nose.

Beetlenose, Lilystem, and Hailpelt emerged from the bushes and looked at us for a heartbeat.

"Littlecloud, Mousefang," Beetlenose greeted calmly. "Have you spoke with ShadowClan lately?"

Littlecloud quickly responded, "No. We still haven't heard from them. Hopefully they show up to the Gathering tonight." He sent us a look of warning.

Why didn't he want the RiverClan cats to know we were helping ShadowClan?

Beetlenose nodded. "Well, we're just going to mark the border." Then he began to mark the border.

I looked over at Icepaw who had concern plastered all over her face. I was concerned too.

"Are you okay?" she whispered over to the RiverClan cats. Littlecloud gave her a warning look but she shrugged it off.

The three cats looked up at her in surprise. "The Dark Forest is coming. We think they've taken over ShadowClan," Hailpelt whispered over to us and then met gazes with Icepaw. "Be careful." Then he continued marking the border.

We finished marking the border and began to make our way back towards camp. I was walking beside Littlecloud while Mousefang and Icepaw walked side-by-side in front of us.

"Are you nervous?"

I pricked my ears and looked over at Littlecloud. "Nervous about what?"

"Well you're become a warrior soon. I was nervous." He offered a small smile. "You're ahead of all of your denmates, you'll be moving up without them."

"No," I responded firmly and looked over at Icepaw and Mousefang again. They were laughing. "I'm ready to be a warrior."

He nodded. "I think Mousefang is mooning over Icepaw," he chuckled.

My fur prickled and I sent Mousefang's back a glare. "You think so?"

"Well I think he has been for a while but he's been so busy with your training. You're becoming a warrior now so it'll free up his time."