twenty-three // evident

story: seven minutes

part: twenty-three // evident

______

Louis is at home, at 3 am, when he gets the call.

He's sobbing and he tries to stay silent; his family are all asleep in bedrooms throughout the house. But Louis is curled up in his and Harry's bed. It's much too big for one person.

He clambers out of it and towards the closet, his legs wobbly and very unstable. It seems appropriate. His fingers shake as he reaches up to the almost too high up shelf, pulling on of Harry's softer jumpers down by the sleeve. He quickly shoves it over his bed-head, it settles long over his fists and drapes over his thighs. He shucks down his pajama pants and pulls out a pair of soft, classy looking pair of silk sweat pants.

He brings them up to his hips one leg at a time and pads out of his room, his arms clutched to his chest. He walks through the room with a chill, he keeps the temperature down. He detaches one arm to open the door, keeping his hands over his fingers to not feel the cold.

He continues to walk through the house, but not far. His mum is the room in front of their's the one that he was planning on occupying at first, the periwinkle one. He shuffles right up to the door and brings a hand up, knocking twice.

It only takes Jay a few moments to get to the door. When she heard the knocks and looked at the clock beside her in confusion of the time, she sprung up right away. Louis stands small in front of her, all dressed and swimming in what she knows to be Harry's jumper. "Lou, baby, what are you doing? Wanna get in bed with muma?," she asks in confusion, but he shakes his head even though he really, really just wants to crawl into bed and cry with the comfort of his mum cuddled into him.

"I'm going to the hospital... they just c - called me," he stutters, and her eyes widen, her hand comes up to cover her mouth.

"Lou - "

"Can you, like, u - um, just take care of the house while I'm gone? I'll probably be back soon, but I need to go right now," he says quickly, quietly.

Jay nods her head, but her mouth is popped open. "Lou, baby, I could go with - "

"No, no, no... I wanna go alone," he whispers, jumping forward to hug his mum. She grabs him up in her arms and squeezes tightly until he starts to loosen up, pulling away. "I'll call soon," he adds, leaving it at that.

He makes sure to be extra quiet passing by the room where the youngest twins are asleep. He got to hold both of them yesterday, and it nearly winded him.

He has to remain quiet as he gets down the last of the staircase. Liam has taken up to sleeping on the couch, to ensure than he's there for him at anytime of the day.

He tiptoes into the kitchen and scoops up the car keys, grabbing them from the bottom so they don't noisily clank together. He leaves the kitchen again then, and slips his shoes on by the front door. He's grateful that Harry put so much money into the the house, the door doesn't make a sound as he opens it.

His body feels unnaturally cold as he walks through the gravel driveway and slips into what was Harry's car, the large Rover. He puts it into ignition, his hands shaking violently, and the keys clank together. The radio is on, he realizes as he puts it in reverse. It's on the last station they had it on, Liam must have just turned in on when he drove the car back here.

Louis doesn't know the song, but it's too cheerful for his mood, for the moment, so he turns it back off.

He backs up slowly, looking out the rearview window for a visual. He puts it in drive after he's far enough back and he looks at the house, he can see his mum watching him from the window. With a numb chest, Louis doesn't wave, he drives off in silence, keeping his grip on the steering wheel tight as can be. He doesn't feel it though. He doesn't feel much.