21. Ex Best-Friend

Adrienne's POV

-

Two years ago

-

I watched Riley continuously slam tennis ball after tennis ball into the other court. It was really boring to watch her practice, but she insisted that I watch her serve so I could detect any "faults" in it.

As if, Riley was the best tennis player I've ever seen. She didn't have mistakes. Or at least, I didn't think so, the blonde always thought she was full of mistakes, which was why she needed me to help "correct" them or make her "better."

It saddened me that she had a lack of self-esteem, especially when it came to her most valuable sport. I sometimes wished she could see how good she is when she plays. It's obvious due to the fact that we were only sophomores and college recruiters were already scouting her, or the fact that her coach basically pampers her throughout the school year.

Watching her latest serve, I stared at the blonde, who was barely even breaking a sweat as her face tinged with irritation. She threw the ball a few feet into the air, and gracefully brought her arm upon it, the contact of the ball against the racquet slamming into the other court flawlessly.

"For fuck's sake!" she screamed out as she swung her racquet in the air out of frustration. "That one was an inch away from being a fault," she took a tennis ball from her bin and chucked it across the court recklessly.

I leaned closer to the fence, "Riles, that serve was perfect. Calm down, I don't think I've ever seen you fuck up a serve before."

She blew out a hot breath and ignored my comment, throwing another yellow ball into the air, to yet again slam into the small corner of the other side of the court. "Ugh!"

I shook my head in pity, looking around and seeing that all her other teammates were doing their own respective practice. Her team was pretty good this season, it's just that everyone was smart enough to stay out of Riley's way while she was in one of these moods.

As the star player that always thought she was the worst, she always practiced by herself or with her coach to avoid her violent and disrespectful tendencies.

"This fucking wind is not helping anything either!" She nearly screamed, her face brightly turned red from her apparent frustration. Before I could say anything, she threw another ball high up in the air, and slammed her racquet extremely hard against it.

However, instead of her actually aiming for practice, she hit it blindly in the air, resulting in the ball to fly off the course of the court, and right into the side of a blonde girl's temple. Both of our eyes widened and Riley's mouth dropped in shock while we watched the girl yelp and crumple to the ground.

"Shit, shit!" Instantly she dropped her racquet to the ground and ran towards the girl on the other side of the court area. I followed slowly behind Riley, wanting her to diffuse the situation since it was her fault, but if I was needed, I guess I'd pitch in.

I watched while my best friend sprinted over to the girl, kneeling beside her and checking her head for any serious damage. Riley helped the girl stand up and it was obvious that Riley was starting to rant and panic as she hurriedly fixed the girl's hair and started to brush the dirt off the girl. I squinted to see if I could recognize who she hit but sighed when I realized I would have to get closer.

After a couple more minutes of Riley's begging, I decided to fully walk over there to help the situation.

Once I came into view, my stomach dropped as I realized who the blonde girl was.

It was June Parker, one of the most annoying and bitchiest girls in the whole school. The girl that always went out of her way to insult me, ignore me, and yell at me all at the same time. We have never gotten along, even since childhood, she's hated me since.