Chapter 6- Hospitality

The old woman led Faith and Akakios into an opening in the woods. A small cottage stood in front of them and the light from the sun above shines on the cottage, giving it a glow. The woman walked up the small steps and made her way to the front door. She pulled out a golden key from her dress pocket and slid the key into the lock. She slid the wooden door open and gestured for her guests to go inside.

Faith walked inside the house first, and she was greeted with the warmth of the fire burning in a nearby fireplace and the sense of a homely feeling. The interior was a very simple living room. In front of her sat a light grey couch and a wooden coffee table in the middle of the room. Across from the table was a beautiful fire place that had a white molding on top of it filled with what appeared to be family photos. The walls were a nice beige, which gave the room a calm atmosphere. Faith sat down on one of the cushions on the couch and took in the peace. It felt like its been forever since she was able to relax and calm down.

Next Akakios walked into the woman's home and grimaced when he looked at his surroundings. He went and stood beside Faith with his jaw clenched shut and he stood with a stiff posture. For some odd reason he wasn't quiet as comfortable as Faith was.

"What's wrong?" Faith whispered

"It's this house....i don't like it. It's too...cozy." Akakios whispered back.

Faith elbowed him in his gut, she felt more of the pain than he did. Akakios tried to hold in his laughter, he smirked as he looked at the anger in her eyes. The old woman walked over to them, she could feel the tension between the two. She smiled and placed a hand on Faith's shoulder.

"The restroom is right around the corner dear. You can go and freshen up while i get you out something to wear."

Faith smiled and rose from the couch. "Thank you so much." She replied sweetly.

The woman nodded. "And for you." She turned and faced Akakios. "I can give you some clothes from my son's wardrobe, so you don't have to walk around with torn clothes."

"No!" Akakios yelled. "I will not allow you to replace this jacket with some worthless piece of fabric." He replied harshly.

"Akakios hush up! You know she is only doing this out of the kindness of her heart! No need to be so rude!" Faith argued.

"Mind your business, Faith."

"No! I'm tired of you treating people anyway you want, just because their human! This nice lady is taking us under her wing and this is how you repay her!?"

The woman stood in the middle of the living room unfazed by what was going on around her. "It's fine." She reassured Faith. "Would you prefer I fix up your clothes instead?"

Akakios nodded.

The woman stretched out her arms. "I'll be needing your jacket then."

Akakios was a bit hesitant at first but he eventually took off his jacket and draped it onto the woman's arm.

"Now, young lady go get freshened up. I can handle this one."

Faith looked once more at Akakios before she turned around and made her way into the restroom.

***

Faith took a quick bath and wrapped a towel around her as she exited the tub. On the sink lay a long, red, pleated dress. Faith looked at the dress in admiration. She owned plenty of pretty dresses but there was something different about this one. She slipped the dress on and walked into the living room. She felt good and she was ready for what the day brings. As she arrived in the living room she found the woman sitting on the couch. On her lap lay Akakios's torn jacket. Next to her sat a small blue bag.