Chapter 8- Damian

Damian watched as his mother rushed around their home, stuffing a small bag with various items. Tears were falling from his light powder eyes as he sat in the corner and cried. His mother hurried over towards him and pulled him up to his feet.

"Sweetie, I'm going to need you to be strong." She whispered as she gave him a tight hug and kissed his head.

"But mommy, i don't wanna go." He protested.

She held his face in her hands and wiped his tears away. "Big boys don't cry. Be safe for me." She whispered.

Once those words escaped her mouth their front door burst open. One of Ravenna's soldiers stood there holding a long sword in his hand. He was dressed in dark purple and black armor. Damian's mother shoved the bag into his hand and pushed him out the back door.

Damian ran as fast as he could for he knew his life was in sake. He could hear his mother's screams as the soldier turned their home upside down in search for him. He continued to run through the forest, dodging anything that stood in his way.

He hid behind a tree to catch his breath as he rummaged through the bag he was given. Inside were clean clothes, some apples to hold him over, a map to his uncle's home and a small photo. He slowly pulled the picture out of his bag and admired it. It was a picture of him and his mother, they hugged each other and smiled big smiles as they looked at one another. On the back of the photo was a little note written in his mother's handwriting. It read: No matter what happens, I'll always be with you.

Damian cried as he realized that he would never see his mother again. He's heard of Ravenna and her soldiers, he knew that her soldiers were as cold hearted as she was and that they wouldn't spare his mother's life. They wanted him and they wouldn't stop until they found him. He only wonders how many people's lives would be in danger because of him.

Damian is only 6 years old but he posses a power that makes him stand out from the rest of the kids in his village. It's because of this power that Ravenna is after him in the first place.

The leaves in the tree started shaking above him. He quickly put the photo in his pocket, grabbed his bag and ran. He looked up to see someone or something following above him in the trees. He continued to run until something stabbed him in his leg. He collided towards the ground, dropping his bag in the process. A sharp pain traveled through his body, he examined his leg and found an arrow stuck inside his flesh.

Damian cried out as he bravely pulled out the arrow. He grasped onto his fresh wound trying to stop the bleeding. A group of Ravenna's soldiers leaped out from the trees and landed safely on their feet. All crowding around Damian, preventing him from escaping. One of the soldiers grabbed him in his arms and cuffed his hands and feet together. Damian fought to get out of his grip, he screamed and wiggled in the man's arm. Another one of Ravenna's soldier hit Damian upside the head with a blunt object making him fall unconscious.

***

Ravenna watched as her team tortured and frightened the new kids that arrived. A smirk formed upon her face. It was always hard for the new arrivals, they were just too sweet for Ravenna's liking. It was part of her training to torture them, make them immune to pain. By the end of the training phase all of the children brought to her would be devious, emotionless, fighters. After all, kids are the best learners being that they tend to absorb any and everything they are taught.

"Ravenna, my lord." One of her soldiers said, interrupting her train of thought.

She turned to face him, her green eyes staring at him coldly. "What do you want?"

He bowed to her and announced his news. "We've brought you the boy."

Ravenna's face lightened up. She cracked a smile. "Did you deliver him safely?" She questioned. "I can't have my secret weapon close to death."

"About that...you see my lord there was a bit of a mishap."

Her jaw clenched. "What do you mean!?"

The man gulped and took a step back. "The boy...he kept kicking and screaming and so I hit his head with my bat to shut him up." He rambled.

Ravenna roughly grabbed him by the neck making him choke on air. "Who the hell told you to do that!? I swear to you if that boy does not wake up I will kill you and feed your remains to the lions!"

"I'm...sorry...my lord." He managed to say.

Ravenna tightened her grip around his neck and watched as he struggled to breathe. His face turning red from the painful act. She threw him onto the ground and turned around to watch her team interact with the children again. She heard him gasping as his lungs had the privilege to breathe again.

"Now get out of here and get back to your duties before I change my mind and kill you." She spat.

He quickly stumbled to his feet and exited her chambers, off to round up another handful of kids.