Chapter Twelve

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rey sighed and shifted in the uncomfortable hospital chair as she gazed out the window of Filip's room. It had been a week since the accident, and although he had woken up the day before, he still slept most of the time. Rey had refused to go home, or leave his room period. The second night, Tara had taken pity on her and moved a cot into his room so she could sleep more comfortably. Everyone had tried to get her to go home or to the shop, just get out of the hospital for a few hours, but she wouldn't leave him, afraid something might happen while she was gone.

Filip had just drifted off again when she heard the door open. She looked up and saw an older woman with curly black hair standing there staring at her with a look of surprise on her face. Rey sighed and nodded her head once.

"You must be Fiona."

The woman nodded and stepped farther into the room as she shut the door behind herself. "And you must be the reason for the divorce papers."

They both turned toward the bed when they heard a throat clear and a low voice. "Fi. Be nice."

Fiona shook her head as she stepped up to the bed, reaching out a hand to squeeze his. Rey looked away from the look of worry on the other woman's face. "Filip, what have ye done to yerself?"

Filip shook his head before looking over at Rey with something like pleading in his eyes. "Rey, darlin, why don't ye give us a few minutes to talk alone, yeah?"

Rey nodded as she stood up. "Of course. I'll come back later."

Fiona gave her a small smile before turning back to Filip. "I'll walk her out." Rey took a deep breath as she opened the door and stepped out, followed closely by Fiona. She didn't stop walking until she heard the other woman speak behind her. "I'll not divorce him, ye know. We're Catholic and the church forbids it. Ye'll just have to be content with being second, darlin." Fiona stepped closer, causing Rey to take a step back. "I'll be stayin the night, so don't bother to come back until tomorrow."

Rey swallowed hard, willing the tears back that threatened to fall. She just nodded and hurried to the elevator, feeling as if she had been put firmly in her place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Gemma and Jax stepped off the elevator and headed to Chib's room. When they entered, they saw Chibs sitting up in bed, eating breakfast and watching the news. Gemma grinned as Jax gave his brother a hug before sitting down in the chair beside the bed.

"You're looking good, old man. When are they going to spring you from here?"

Chibs shrugged as he turned the sound down on the tv. "I'm not sure. Tomorrow most likely. I'm feelin one hundred percent better, brother." He looked at Gemma. "Have ye seen Rey?"

Gemma looked at him in surprise. "She's not here?"

Chibs shook his head and blew out a breath. "Fiona showed up yesterday, ran my girl off. I haven't seen her since."

Gemma reached out and patted him on the leg as she sighed. "I'll go see if I can find her, ok? I'm sure she's at home or the shop. Don't worry."

Chibs shook his head again, looking devastated. "I'm afraid Fi ran her off for good. I don't... I don't know what I'll do if she did."

Gemma came around the side of the bed and kissed him on the cheek. "Hey, now, none of that. You don't need to worry, ok? I'll find her and see what's going on."

Jax just nodded to his mother as she headed for the door. She was a little worried. If Rey wasn't at the hospital, there were only two other places she could be. She called the shop but Trudy said she hadn't heard anything from Rey for a couple of days. Gemma sighed as she called Happy and waited for him to pick up.

"Hey, can you meet me at Rey's? Some shit went down between her and Fiona at the hospital yesterday and Chibs hasn't seen her since and she's not at the shop."

She heard the man curse on the other end of the phone. "Shit! Yeah, be right there. If you get there first, wait for me. I got keys to get in if she doesn't answer."

Gemma said goodbye and hung up. She was glad that Chibs had insisted that he, Bobby, and Happy have a set of keys to her house in case something happened. This way, if she didn't answer the door, neither of them would be arrested for breaking and entering.

When Happy roared up on his motorcycle, Gemma was standing on the front porch, impatiently tapping one boot on the wood deck. "She's not answering, but her car is in the garage."

Happy looked in the garage windows just to be sure before stepping up to unlock the door. When they entered the house, they were met with total silence, but there were signs of life in the form of a couple of empty wine bottles. Gemma sighed and shook her head as they began to search the house, finally finding Rey in the master bedroom, burrowed down under the covers of the huge king size bed.

Gemma frowned and climbed onto the bed to lay behind Rey and push the covers away from her face as Happy kneeled down beside the bed. He tapped Rey on the cheek with one finger until she shook her head and opened her eyes enough to see him. "Rey? Come on, wake up and talk to us."

"Happy? What are you doing here?"

He motioned behind her. "Me and Gemma came to see if you were ok. You weren't answering your phone and Chibs hasn't seen you since yesterday."

She nodded before laying her head back down on the pillow. "I'm ok. You didn't have to come check on me."

Gemma shook her head as she got off the bed and walked around to where Happy was. "Yeah, you're great, that's why you smell like a vineyard. Come on, I'm gonna throw you in the shower then make you some breakfast." She turned to Happy, who was smirking at her. "I'm good now if you wanna head back to the shop. I think Rey and I need to have some girl talk."