Chapter Sixteen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Take the goddamn cuffs off, Hale!"

Aubrey would have laughed at the look of panic on David's face as Gemma strode toward them if she wasn't so pissed off right then. He made short work of unlocking the cuffs as Gemma pulled Aubrey into a hug. "Ok, sweetheart, let's get you inside. I bet you could use a drink."

Aubrey just nodded as she looked over Gemma's shoulder and saw Chibs walking their way. Her eyes widened when she saw a familiar face come walking out of the clubhouse. "You've got to be fucking kidding me."

Gemma sighed and nodded as she turned and saw Fiona standing just behind Chibs. "Yeah, I know. Just ignore her. Jimmy O is supposed to be on his way to pick her up." She pulled Rey into her side. "Come on, let's go get that drink."

Chibs rolled his eyes as the two women walked past him and a smirking Fiona. "Gem, I'd like a minute with my old lady, if ye don't mind."

Rey heard Gemma smirk as they stopped to look at him. "Oh yeah? Which one? Ya gotta be more specific, Chibby."

Clay shot her a warning look as Chibs shook his head and muttered under his breath. He grabbed Rey's hand and pulled her toward the building. "That's it. Clay, we're using the chapel!" He said nothing else as he pulled her through the crowd of people in the clubhouse, not stopping until they were in the chapel and the doors were closed. He paced back and forth as Rey made herself comfortable in a chair, arms crossed over her chest and a glare on her face. Finally, he stopped pacing and sat down in the chair across from her, running a hand through his hair. "Look, darlin, I know yer pissed at me, but... "

Rey chuckled dryly, shaking her head. "No, darlin, I was pissed before. Now, I'm furious."

He just stared at her with a steely look. "Are ye done?" When she reluctantly nodded and looked down at the table, he sighed. "Rey, I know yer angry, luv, and ye got every right to be. Jackie had no right saying what he did to ye."

Rey sat quietly for a moment before speaking softly. "Was it true? Did you tell him that I was driving you crazy?"

Chibs sighed then nodded. "Aye, I did, but luv, I dinna mean it. I was just frustrated. I'm not used to laying around all day. I took it out on ye, and I shouldn't have."

Rey nodded before motioning toward the door. "Why is she here?"

Chibs shook his head. "She's here because as much as I may not like her, she's still the mother of my child, Rey, and I have to keep her safe. Jimmy's coming for her soon, so she won't be a problem." He crooked a finger at her. "Come here, darlin." When Rey walked around the table to him, he reached out for her hand and pulled her into his lap. "Now, maybe I went too far in having Hale cuff ye, but by yer own words, yer my old lady, and the safest place for ye is with me. When Happy came for ye, ye shouldna fought him, lass. I need you with me. Do ye understand that?"

Rey nodded. "I know I can be stubborn, but this morning... I felt blindsided, like you didn't need me as much as I need you."

Chibs shook his head as Rey laid hers on his shoulder. "Nah, Rey. I need you like oxygen, luv. No matter what, never stop believing that, ok?" He kissed her on the forehead and grinned. "I'm sure this won't be the last fight we have, but hopefully next time we won't have to involve the police."

Rey snickered as there was a knock on the door. Juice stuck his head inside and gave them a small smile. "Jimmy O's here for Fiona, but she wants to talk to Rey alone for a minute."

Chibs looked at Rey and she shrugged, but he shook his head. "No. She can talk to her in front of me or not at all."

Juice nodded and left. After a couple of minutes, the door opened to admit Fiona, who sat in the chair Rey had been in. She shook her head and smirked, looking around the room. "Aye, but who would have thought we'd be here, Filip?" She grinned and pointed a finger at Rey. "You are a firecracker, girlie. I'm glad you'll be here with him. He needs someone like you, whether he'll admit it or not." She sighed as she pulled a stack of papers from her bag and looked at them for a moment. She slowly slid them across the table, looking at Rey. "The divorce papers, signed. I wasn't going to, ya know, but... I thought to myself, what am I hanging on for? We're never going to be together again and that's just the way of it." She stood up and smiled at Chibs and Rey as she reached for the doorknob. "I'll be taking my leave now. Stay safe, both of you."

Rey stared at the door as it closed behind the other woman, while Chibs reached slowly for the papers on the table. Rey turned to Chibs and ran a hand through his hair as he leafed through the legal documents. "Are you ok?"

He was quiet for a moment before finally nodding and looking up to smile at her. She could see tears swimming in his eyes as he pulled her closer. "Aye, darlin, I'm fine. It's just... we were together for so long, saw so many ups and downs, ya know?" He tapped the papers with his index finger. "But this? This is the start of our life together, mo ghaol." He chuckled as he looked at Rey. "I couldn'a be better, Aubrey."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mo ghaol- my love