Introduction

Summer Brinkley smiled as she dialed her old college roommate's number. She couldn't wait until she told her friend the great news.

"Hello?" A male voice answered the phone.

Summer's heart fluttered un-expectantly. "Um, can I speak with Dana, please?"

"Yeah, hi, Summer," he answered as if he recognized her voice. "hold on a sec. I'll get her for you."

Summer frowned, wondering how he knew who she was. Caller i.d? Her heart fluttered again at the sexy male voice as he shouted, "Dane, phone!"

Summer smiled, hearing her friend yell back, "Who is it?"

"It's Summer..." he answered, "you could answer the phone yourself once in a while and find out, you know."

Dana's voice came closer to the phone, "Okay, geez, don't get your panties in a bunch, I was busy."

Suddenly, Dana's voice shrieked into the phone. "Summer! Oh, my gosh! I haven't talked to you since Christmas! How are you?!"

"Great!" Summer answered, grinning. "In fact... I have fantastic news!" she did a little dance with her butt on the bed.

"Oh, do tell!" Dana leaned against the back of the couch and put her feet up on the coffee table, earning a scowl from her roommate. Dana smiled at him and fluttered her eyelashes innocently. He swatted her legs on the way to his room. She loved getting a rise out of him. Dana turned her body sideways and curled up on the couch.

"I'm moving to California. And guess where?"

Dana gasped and jumped off the couch. "You're moving here?!"

"Yup," Summer grinned. She couldn't wait to see her friend.

She and Dana had met junior year of college. They had been assigned the same dorm room and had become the best of friends. They hadn't seen each other since their graduation five years ago due to living on opposite coasts of the United States. Phone calls were a few months apart and emails slightly more frequent. But Summer still regarded Dana as her best friend.

Dana's light brown eyes twinkled in excitement. "That is so awesome! When are you coming?"

"In May," Summer replied, rolling over on her stomach to get comfortable.

Dana groaned. "Oh, no!"

Summer didn't like the tone of her friend's voice. "What is it?"

"I'm going on a business trip in May. For three whole months!"

"Three months? To where?!" Summer tried to hold back her disappointment. She wanted to see her friend. She needed to see her friend.

"Italy," Dana answered, "it's the chance of a lifetime. If I do well there then I'm a shoo-in for this huge promotion at work."

Summer was truly happy for her friend. "That's incredible, Dana, I'm so happy for you!"

Dana sighed. "I won't be able to see you until the end of August."

"Well, it's been long enough already a few more months won't kill us."

"I know," Dana said with a laugh. Time did get away from her.

"Can you suggest a place where to live? I have no idea how to tell the good areas from the bad," Summer said, looking at the map spread out on her bed that she had purchased that day at the bookstore.

"As close to me as possible!"

Summer grinned. "Oh, that goes without saying!"

"Oh, my God! I have the most brilliant plan! And when I say brilliant, I mean absolutely brilliant!"

"Ut-oh. Dana and her brilliant plans," Summer muttered, looking at the ends of her blonde hair looking for split ends.

"Hey! You're going to love this. I swear," Dana said defensively.

Summer raised an eyebrow even though her friend couldn't see her. "Does Halloween mean anything to you?"

"Okay, Okay, dying your hair orange to look like Daphne from Scooby Doo, wasn't the most brilliant of plans...but you're going to like this."

"Ah, she changes from love to like."

"Move into my apartment while I'm gone and then you'll have three whole months to look around personally for a place."

"Not bad." Summer nodded slowly as she thought it over. She didn't want to rush into finding a place, but she didn't have a lot of time before her move and her new job. Staying at Dana's place would give her a chance to take her time. Summer hesitated, realizing she would have to share the apartment with a certain someone. The someone who had answered the phone and still managed to give her tingles just by the sound of his voice. She cleared her throat. "What about your roommate?" Not like she could ever forget who Dana was living with, but Dana didn't know that.

"Jesse, yeah. But he won't mind," Dana answered with a shrug.

"He's the one that answered the phone?" Summer asked hesitantly.

"Yeah. I told you about Jess. He's my oldest and dearest friend. We've been friends since like pre-school. Before that even. He called me in college sometimes. Don't you remember?"

"Yeah, I remember talking to him." Summer bit her lip. They had nice conversations with each other when Dana hadn't been in their dorm room when he called. And Dana didn't know about it. Summer could never bring herself to talk to Dana about Jesse. She, of course, soaked up as much information as she could when Dana talked about him. And Summer made some polite inquires. But she never told Dana how much she enjoyed talking to Jesse nor how she really liked him. She'd never met Jesse in person, but she'd seen pictures and just the thought of him made her blush.

Summer slowly realized Dana was calling her name, "Uh, um, you don't mind living with a guy?" she stammered, trying to remember what they were talking about.

"Not at all. Jesse's great. He's like my brother anyway. It's not like I have to worry about him trying to get into bed with me."

"And you're not worried about that for me?" Summer asked with a laugh.

"Oh, no, I didn't mean that! Jesse's a complete gentleman. I swear! He's a real sweetie. He's too good to be true sometimes. I think that's why he doesn't have a girlfriend; he runs them away with his boy scoutiness. Would you consider it? Please?"

Summer sighed. "The thought of it sounds tempting....but I don't know about living with a guy..." she said, rubbing her forehead. Especially Jesse, the guy she had fallen in love with, but had never met.

Author note:

have you ever had a crush on someone that you've never met in person? What, if anything did you do about it? What do you think Summer should do about it?