Chapter Four

They went back to the apartment. Jesse stopped to get the mail from the box and went up the stairs to follow them inside. He tossed the mail, which was mostly catalogs, on the small table by the door. He walked over to the machine and hit play. A woman's voice spoke through the speaker. "Jesse, it's your mother. Turn on your cell phone. And check your truck, you're always leaving it there. Call me. And Dana, you better call me too before you leave. Love you both. Bye!" Jesse rolled his eyes and deleted the message.

"Call my mom!" Jesse yelled to Dana.

She was in her room with Summer sitting on her bed. "I heard!" Dana yelled back. She glanced at Summer covering her mouth as she yawned. "Hey, Jess?! Can Summer take a nap on your bed so I can finish packing in here?" Dana asked, calling down the hall.

Summer was about to protest when he came in and leaned on the door. He looked around the room."What hit your room? A tornado?" Clothes were scattered everywhere. Summer didn't blame him of making the comparison.

"Did I ask for your critique of my room?"

Jesse put his hands in a symbolic prayer position. He widened his eyes and said pleadingly "Please, sleep in my room, Summer. It's safer there."

"I don't want to put you out."

"It's no problem. I have to go to the grocery store anyway."

"Oh, pick up some more soda," Dana told him, coming out of her closet with an armload of clothes.

Jesse raised an eyebrow to Summer. "Do you need anything from the store?"

She shook her head. "No. Thank you."

Jesse squeezed her shoulder. "Make yourself at home, Summer. Don't be shy. You live here now."

She smiled back appreciatively. "Thanks."

"Yeah, if you need tampons Jesse will pick some up for you," Dana said with a grin, dropping the clothes on the bed. "Won't you, Jesse?"

He glared at Dana and then took a set of keys out of his pocket. "I'll be back." He said quickly exiting the room.

Dana laughed. "Seriously, he will. But it embarrasses the hell out of him."

Summer laid down on top of Jesse's bed uneasily. The smell of him overwhelmed her. Not in the department store bad way, but in the make you weak in the knees way. She had smelled him all through lunch over the table. It made her want to get closer to him, to set her head on his strong chest and just breathe him in.

Summer put her hand to her forehead. She had no idea how she was going to live with Jesse for three months without losing her mind.

She pulled her ponytail out and slipped the elastic band around her wrist. She ran her hands through her hair to loosen it. Summer had put it up when it was still wet and she was starting to get a headache from the tightness of it.

She rolled onto her side to get comfortable and prepared herself for a good amount of time before she would be able to fall asleep with the scent of him so near. She breathed Jesse in another time and then fell instantly asleep.

The dream was a memory. A memory of a day Summer had not really forgotten about, but it was at the back of her head for the longest time.

"Hey," Summer said happily, entering her and Dana's dorm room. She was so glad to be back at school with her best friend and roommate.

"Hey! How was your spring break?" Dana asked, looking up from the magazine she was reading.

Summer set her suitcase next to her dresser."It was okay. Same old, same old. Mom, Dad, and the county club scene." She took off her sweater and set it neatly on the back of the desk chair.